PAINT CREEK LAKE TONIGHT

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ohio hilljack, Oct 7, 2008.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    DREW AND I WILL BE HITTING PAINT CREEK LAKE TONIGHT . ANY TAKERS MY PHONE NUMBER IS 740-572-6167 . CAMPGROUND BOAT RAMP 6 OCLOCK.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am surprised you had no takers on this one. I am going to predict 22 channel cats, biggest 8 pounds. Keep me updated.

3. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    YOU ARE WAY OFF. 21 FISH AND THE BIGGEST WAS 8 POUND 2 OUNCES. NOW WHERE DID YOU EVER PULL OUT A GUESS LIKE THAT.WIPE THE BROWN STUFF OFF BEFORE YOU SAY IT OUT LOUD:smile2: NO TAKERS BUT IT DIDN'T DAMPEN THE FUN. GOT BAIT AND HAD POLES IN BY SIX THIRTY. STARTED RIGHT NEXT TO THE DAM TO SEE IF ANYTHING HAD MOVED INTO DEEP WATER. DRIFTED FOUR POLES, TWO HOOKED UP WITH CUT SHAD MINNOWS ABOUT THREE INCHES LONG AND TWO HOOKED UP WITH REALLY BIG CHUNKS OF CUT SHAD. THE DEAL WAS WE WANTED TO SEE IF OUR BAIT SELECTION WAS LIMITING OUR SIZE OF FISH. HIT THREE UP NEXT TO THE DAM DRAGGING THE BOTTOM AT 26 FEET. ALL WERE TWO TO THREE POUNDS. RAN UP THE SHALLOW SIDE BY THE BOAT DOCK AND HIT ANOTHER IN TEN FEET OF WATER IT WAS A DINK. ALL SO FAR CAUGHT ON SMALL MINNOWS, REBAITED ALL HOOKS, WHICH WE DID FOR THE ENTIRE NIGHT EVERY HALF HOUR. STARTED UP THE DOCK SIDE BANK PAST THE MARINA AND HIT A GOOD SIZED ONE ON A MINNOW IN 14 FOOT OF WATER. IT WEIGHED IN AT 5 POUNDS SIX OUNCES. STEEP DROP ALMOST ALL THE WAY TO THE BEACH ,TEN FEET FROM THE BANK IT WAS 20 FEET DEEP, RAN IT FOR THE ENTIRE LENGTH WITH NO FISH BUT DID HAVE SEVERAL STRIKES THAT RESULTED IN NO FISH MOST OF THESE WERE ON THE CUT. THEY WOULD HOLD ON FOR ABOUT HALF THE TRIP TO THE BOAT AND THEN LET GO. WENT UP PAST THE BEACH INTO SOME REALLY SHALLOW WATER AND JUST STARTED SLAYING THEM IN ABOUT TEN FEET OF WATER. CONTINUED TO HAVE ALL KINDS OF RUNS ON THE CUT BUT CAUGHT VERY FEW OF THE FISH THAT WERE HITTING IT. THE MINNOWS WERE HITTING ABOUT 80% HOOKUP. ALL THE FISH WERE IN THE TWO POUND OR LESS CLASS SOME WERE MERE MINNOWS. THEN THE CUT BAIT POLE WENT DOWN TO THE WATER AND WE HOOKED INTO THE EIGHT POUNDER. CAUGHT AT A SMALL HUMP 10 TO 7 FEET OF WATER. CAUGHT SEVERAL MORE SMALL ONES AND PUT THE BOAT ON THE TRAILER AT 2 O'CLOCK, BOTH OF US MADE IT TO WORK ON TIME AT SEVEN. I THINK THE REASON WE MISSED MOST OF THE FISH ON CUT WAS DUE TO THE SIZE OF HOOKS NEEDED TO GET THAT BIG PIECE OF MEAT ON THE HOOKS WERE EXPOSED,SO THAT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM. THE BIGGEST FISH DID TAKE THE BIG CUT BUT THE SECOND BIGGEST WAS CAUGHT ON A MINNOW. MOST OF THE BIG FISH WE HAVE CAUGHT THIS YEAR WERE ON MINNOWS . THOUGHTS?

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Well what can I say, I predict the future pretty well. MY THOUGHTS!! Great night on the water. The fish are still on the shallow flats trying to fatten up for winter!! I am guessing the water temp was between 55-65 degrees. Once the lake cools to 55-50 degrees you will be able to catch them in the medium to deep water. 50 and below, they will be schooled up in the deepest hole and you will have to drag that bait right in front of their noses.

Now I am not sure why you were not able to catch more fish in the 4-8 pound range and mostly caught small ones. I would say that they were on a edge somewhere close to where you caught the little ones. Just hanging out a little deeper.

Great night, sounds like some ohio brothern missed out on some good fishing

5. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I THOUGHT THE SAME THING ABOUT THEM HANGING ON THE FRINGES. WE RAN THE AREA WE CAUGHT THE BIG ONE ON BOTH SIDES AND STILL NEVER HOOKED UP WITH ANY SIZABLE FISH. THE WATER TEMP AT PAINT CREEK IS RUNNING ABOUT 63 DEGREE'S, SEEMS LIKE YESTERDAY WHEN IT WAS 80. BUT I LIKE THE CHANGE AND EVIDENTLY SO DO THE CHANNELS.

6. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I didnt realize that paint creek was such a good catfish lake!! Me and my uncle were there last week and absolutely slayed the crappie. We are there a lot in the winter catchin crappie. Let me ask you this, have you ever fished the actual creek in the spring when the water is running hard and muddy? East fork lake is actually just about 15 minutes from us and we absolutely tear up the channel cats in the spring time way up in the creek. I mean as far as the boat will go, all the way to the first riffle evan!!

7. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    SPRING IS A GREAT TIME FOR SLAYING CHANNELS IN THE CREEK. THEY MOVE UP FROM THE LAKE TO FEED IN THE WARMER WATER ON THE SHAD DIE OFF. BUT I'M TELLING YOU IT IS NOT BAD RIGHT NOW. THE CREEK IS WHERE WE ARE CATCHING MOST OF THE FISH, PRETTY MUCH DRIFTING JUST LIKE CRAPPIE FISHING.