Paint creek in Ohio?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by liveforcattin08, Mar 22, 2006.

1. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    does anyone fish paint creek and would be willing to give me some info on it.
    what is the flathead population like, good areas, hot bait, big fish? hoping to try it out this coming fishing season. any help would be appreciated

2. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    There are supposed to be some flatties in there. At least that the rumor. I ment to make it out there last year but always stopped at Rocky Fork on the way. I think there is a lot more structure in that lake than Rocky Fork. My guess would be if there is any deeper water close to the inlet from Rattlesnake Creek I think it's called. Good luck and welcome to the site.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I was just there Sunday fishing, but not for cats. I've never tried catfishing there. Too far of a drive for me. I can be to the Ohio River in 20 minutes.

4. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    It is probally the same distance for me to Paint Creek as the river. I guess that is why i never made it there last year...lol If we have another dry summer with no current on the river, may have to give it a try.

5. tomoryears7919

tomoryears7919 New Member

State:
    Hillsboro, OHIO
    Hey everyone, I fished paint creek 20 plus times last year and caught a lot of channelcats. Also caught a few blues. I never tried to catch any flats but have got some new gear and a fishfinder for my boat and I am excited to get out there and try to find some. I usually come into paint creek lake off the boat dock by 753(rattlesnake creek) and go up paint creek. There are an abundance of shad to catch with a cast net that the channels eat up. Maybe some of you that fish paint creek would be interested in hooking up and catching some fish sometime. Share some insight and help me try to locate some big shovelheads. Good luck and have a great year. By the way I live about 15 minutes from both Paint Creek and Rocky Fork Lakes.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I haved fished the rattlesnake are a few times in the spring, after heavy rains you can load up on channel cats when the water is rising.

7. tomoryears7919

tomoryears7919 New Member

State:
    Hillsboro, OHIO
    Jack, how far up rattlesnake out of paintcreek lake are you talking about? I know that there are a bunch of trees and stumps in there just past under the bridge but I havent tried it out yet. I am not the most experienced yet but, it looks like a great place. Maybe there could be some flats in there too. Thanks for the info, I think i will check it out this year.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not that far up, just a couple hundred yds up from the boat ramp seems the best but only if the water is rising..If it's not rising I cant catch them there.

9. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    was fishing the spillway there a few years back and a guy pulled in a 63 lb flattie. i can never seem to get anything more than a 5 but they are there.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have some nice areas to fish in paint creek downstream from the lake, but not many fish in those holes now due to people keeping all the flatheads.

11. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ya i meant the river downstream of the lake, that sucks that every one keeps them, personally i would never eat any fish out of ohio streams