Painfull lesson learned & OH River report aug 20th 08

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Desode, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, this evening was full of excitement and a sting of pain on the ohio river. I wasn't going to go this evening because I forgot to put out the minnow trap and the bait shop was already closed, but I looked in the fridge and had some old hotdog and 8 fat worms left. Well it doesn't take much of a excuse to get me to go fishing ,so I told myself I need to use that bait up cause its getting old.:smile2: Next thing I know it was 5:30pm and I was at the river. I put some hotdog on one rod and tossed it out,then decided to bait cast with the other. Now, I just found an old box of erie dearies today in the garage and I thought hey, maybe I can catch a small saugeye for bait on one of those , so I put one on and tossed it out and BAM I catch a 17 inch largemouth bass and of course he hit the front of the lure and got hooked right near his 2 belly fins. It was a pain getting that hook out but he wasn't bleeding at all and should be all right. I figured if the bass are in here today, I don't want to be hooking them like that with erie dearies, so I put on a white 1/8 oz rooster tail. I cast it out and BAM another 18 inch large mouth. Next it was smallies and I caught 4 of them between 16 and 18 inchs. Then the bait casting died down. I was just getting ready to put a erie back on when I caught a nice 17.5 inch channel cat on the hot dog. I put some more hotdog on and then put the erie back on the other rod. I caught a nice 15 inch saugeye about 20 minutes later and a small 14 inch channel after that on the dog.

At this point, its a little after 7pm and I figured I had better use up those worms. After a breif check I noticed they were about on their last legs and I was right to think that they needed to be used up.:wink: I took and put 4 of them on one hook and tossed it out and finally set down in the big old fold out chair. Oh yeah ! I even attached the foot rest on it and put my feet up.:roll_eyes: Now I lost a nice flathead last week due to line breakege so I just put spiderwire 50pd braided on my bigger rod a couple of days ago. This is the first time I have used braided line. I tell you guys I was in heaven with the sun going down on the river and a nice breeze blowing. Well, I had the rod in my right hand like I always do with my finger on the string so that if I get a bite, I can feel the bite real good and that will wake me up if I dose off. Guess what ? I dosed off.
    Next thing I know the rod gets almost yanked out of my hand and I'm half dazed and just close my hand and do one of those " RIPP YOUR LIPS OFF, HOOK SETS" :confused2: The drag starts screaming like crazy right from the get go and the next think I know in all the excitement my brain goes and tells me that something just ain't right,, as a matter of fact my finger that was on the line is now gripping the rod with the braided line still underneth my index finger.:crazy: Needless to say I woke up real quick because 30 feet of braided line just sliced and burnt its way through a 1/8 inch of my finger ! I took my right hand off the rod and the line was stuck in the slice across my finger ! All the while the drag is still screaming ! I finally landed the fish which much to my surprise was a huge nice male drum 29 inchs. I must say I have caught some drums this size before but they where mostly females and not a whole lot of fight. Well this one was impressive for a drum and he did two nice hard runs. I have to say the best fight I have ever recieved from a drum.
    Well the lesson of the day is, when using braided line DON"T FALL ASSLEP WITH YOUR FINGER ON THE STRING ! If that drum would have been a Big ole' fresh water freight train {flat), I would have lost a finger ! or atleast had to go get stitches ! Ha Ha HA :smile2:
    Have a great day guys and best of luck in your fishing !
    Sincerely, Matt AKA DESODE

Attached Files:

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    sounds like you had afun trip,even though your finger is hurting,lol

3. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah Hunted if i'm fishing I'm having a great time. Tonight was one of those evenings when you just can't help but laugh and enjoy yourself.
    At one time when I was fighting cancer I didn't think I would ever be able to fish again. Now words cannot describe how glad I am to be enjoying the fishing. I'm also glad to have found the BOC too, and if I go fishing and catch something you guys will hear about it , including when and where, and how and what bait I caught it on. If its over 18 inchs you'll get a picture too. I know coming to this site and reading fishing reports from other members has helped me catch more fish at the areas I fish. Its invaluable to be able to come here and know that someone else caught the day before your going and you also know what they caught it on.
    Matt AKA DESODE

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    good going guy I am Glad that you got the fish good going rick

5. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Glad to hear you had a fun evening (except for the finger) fishing. Keep reeling them in and I look forward to your pics...

6. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    My unfortunate experience is don't fall asleep or you might just loose your pole. :haha:

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Live and learn is what I say, live and learn...........lol :wink:

8. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Other than the finger action it sounds like a pretty good night on the river to me. Those drums give a pretty good fight sometimes too. Hope you packed that special item you really needed in the tackle box...A BOX OF BAND-AIDS! Congrats on the fish! (Man i wish they were bitin' like that around here!)
    Garrett

9. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    THANKS FOR THE REPORT AND WATCH THAT FINGER!

10. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the post Matt...I like the way you write. I enjoy reading your reports.