Paddlefishing!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by StuBone278, Mar 27, 2008.

1. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Hey, just got back from north louisiana! A couple of my friends and I fished the L&D #4 yesterday from about 11 to 1 oclock. Right when we walked over to the rock banking, we saw about 4 people snagging already, with someone throwing a good 30 or so pounder back into the water. We got down there and had 2 poles, one was my actual rig that I set up for snagging, the other just a catfishing one with a baitcaster. As I went to cast the first one, I noticed my reel with the 65lb. braided was missing a screw and it wouldn't reel in....great.:angry: The good thing was I had 30lb. line on my catfishing reel, and knew I could cast it very far. So I went to throwing and jerking, like everyone else was doing, except their poles all had a good 8 extra feet on them compared to my 7ft. rod. Oh well. About the thrid or so cast I jerked back in a sweep and felt like I hit a log. This thing ran all over the place, stripped drag, and finally, after about 5 minutes, came to the shore!! Big paddlefish, not sure on the weight but I'd say it was around 40-45 pounds! I was pretty tired then so I let my friend joel start casting and reeling in and his second cast got him on a monster! When he finally got it in, it rolled and the line snapped right as it was on the rocks next to my feet. "Stu, the line snapped," I didn't hear him, "THE LINE SNAPPED!!" I then realized and grabbed the fish as hard as I could as it was starting to swim away and wrestled it onto the shore! It was the same length as mine but about 10 pounds heavier!!! We fished until we ran out of sinkers, my other friend lost 2 big ones that I got him hooked into, and I was kicking myself for not bringing any other types of weights (catfishing would've worked just as well!!) It was an awesome experience!!
    I would like to thank Shreveport Mike for helping me out with this as he told me how to do just about all there is with snagging paddlefish!! Thanks!!
    here's the pictures I said I'd post!:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    WAY TO GO STU,BEEN TO THE VERMILLION LATELY?

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Nope, haven't been lately, but I may go for catfish soon, and if the gar are hitting, those too!:big_smile:

4. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Man that had to be fun. Good job guys.

5. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Great catch Stu, looks like ya got it down pat.....:wink:

6. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Right on Stu!!! I had been wondering if you made it up there. Glad you had a good time.

7. Fred Rankin

Fred Rankin New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisiana
    Louisiana Dept of wildlife and fisheries rule on Paddlefish:

Paddlefish: two daily. All paddlefish greater than 30 inches (lower jaw fork length) must be returned to the water immediately. The taking or possession of paddlefish is closed in all saltwater areas of the state and in border waters shared with Texas. All possessed paddlefish must be dead. The possession or transportation of live paddlefish is prohibited. All paddlefish possessed on the waters of the state shall be maintained intact. No persons shall possess paddlefish eggs on the waters of the state which are not fully attached to the fish.

I saw a man wressle a paddlefish below the Red River Lock & Dam #5 last Thursday. He was snagging and the fish was hooked near the tail. It almost took the long rod away from the big man. But after unkooking it, he had to return it to the water. He said he catches/snags a lot of paddlefish, but has never caught one smaller than 30". It took him a long time to get the fish to the bank/rocks. Snagging is a lot of "Hard Work"!!!

8. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I was aware of those regulations, and would have loved to take a smaller one back, but the thing is, I only saw one fish somebody else caught that MIGHT have been legal that day while at #4. The reality is most of them are all much larger than 30" from mouth to fork. Also, it's not really that much "hard work". I had a 7' with a baitcaster compared to people with 12' rods and huge spinning reels! I'd say give it a try while they're still running, you'll be in for a trip!:big_smile:

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats some nice looking fish that you all caught thank you for sharing the pictures with us