Paddlefish

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by vlparrish, Feb 5, 2009.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Well it is early February here in Kentucky and snagging season is in full swing. I figured I would post a close up picture of a paddlefish for those that had never seen one. Enjoy the pictures. Vern

Attached Files:

2. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    i would appriciate it very much if someone could tell me if i can snag for spoonbill in the mississippi river if so whats the legal limit and size????????
    :confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2:

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats on the start of a new year Vernon. Thanks for sharin your pics.

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Kevin, I'm not sure on the regulations in your state on snagging. Try a search on your states Department of Natural Resources site or make a post in your states local talk thread, maybe someone will chime in. Good luck. Vern

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice Paddlefish, to bad you cant keep em hear.

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Nice bills. I'm ready for March 15 so I can start snagging them here in MO.:roll_eyes:

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I was at Ft Gibson Dam earlier today only saw 2 spoonbils roll before they shut the water down. No one was snagging.

8. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Sweet paddles Vernon. That's a great way to start the new year. Impressive to say the least. How many are you allowed a season?

9. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Snakerivercat, we are allowed 2 paddlefish a day here on the Ohio and the season runs from February 1st to May 10th. So quite a few if you get a lot of limited days. Vern

10. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Strange lookin fish! Do they fight hard?

11. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Here in Oklahoma we get to snag year round but can only keep one a day. We have to use barbless hooks. You can catch as many as you want, but as soon as you keep one you are done for the day.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Wow! Good haul Vernon.

Are they good eating? How do you prepare it?

13. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    I was wondering too, once you kill em' do you eat em' ? And wonder if they are in the Ohio this far north? Pike Island Pool, northern West Virginia. I have never seen one in person.

14. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Kip, yes they are strong fighters. Plus you never know where you are gonna hook one, a tail hooked one will wear you out, especially if he is big.

Kyredneck, yes they are good eating. I prepare mine just like I do my catfish. Then I cover the filets with lemon and herb seasoning and cook them on an indoor electric grille, similar to a George Foreman. They are also good smothered in corn meal and fried like catfish filets.

brew1961, I don't know if they get that far up the Ohio or not. I do know that they snag em down at Meldahl and that area.

15. EERSFAN

EERSFAN New Member

State:
    Burlington IA

yes you can look for them belowdam's in the southeastern part of the state just about all rivers, mississippi, des moines, and skunk have them. Was out today in ottumwa managed to get quite a few carp, and drum but no spoonies. lots of people fishing for them. no size limit but you are alloud 2 per day, and can only posses 4.

16. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Congrats! some great eatin there!

17. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you ever try them boiled, you'll forget all about shrimp!

Trim alllllllllll the red meat and fat off, then slice them into thin strips. Soak in water, then give the slices a rinse in a good amount of lemon juice. Boil the water with zatarains shrimp boil, some cayenne pepper and dump in the fish a handfull at a time. Boil it for about 1-2 minutes...don't over cook it, then take it out and drain it. Let the water come back to a boil before adding a fresh batch of fish. Dip the strips in cocktail sauce...tastes like shrimp without the peel!

18. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I've heard they are good to eat and I've heard they taste like #%$@! , so.......more opinions please. Never tried it but our snagging season opens next week.

I'm more interested in if they taste good in Andy's seasoning and FRIED up.

19. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I fillet them like a catfish. Cut out the red meat and cut into slices. Roll it in your favorite batter and fry it! Taste GREAT! My brother is not much of a fish eater but he would rather eat spoonbill than any other fish. I also tried a good repice a while back. Mix up some cream cheese, bread crumbs, and spices. Spread it on a spoonbill fillet. Roll it up. Wrap a piece of bacon around it. Keep it together with a toothpick. Cook it in the oven til the fish flakes easily. YUMMMM!!!!

20. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I see people snagging them and have heard they are tasty but have never tried them. Would like to though.