Paddlefish Season

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by vlparrish, Jan 28, 2007.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Paddlefish season opens this Thursday morning, February 1st. I usually go a few times during the season. They are great table fare and fun to snag. It has become a yearly ritual for my dad, brother and I to get together and snag a few bills on the opener. With the only exception being bad weather holds it off for a few days. My dad doesn't like to travel in it and it is a two hour drive from his house to mine. If anyone has any questions about snagging paddlefish or the type of equipment used, feel free to ask. Vern

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    My brother took me a few years ago to Ky dam snaggin'. He had talked about it for a while. I thought I would hate it. Boy was I wrong...I loved it and have been 'hooked' ever since.

3. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How many do you guys snag on a good day? I've never really got any information on that sport and I was just curious.

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    what kind of poles and hooks do you guys use? i kno you have to have a stout rod and a big treble.

5. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I use a 6' St. Claire snaggin' rod with a Penn 309 w/ 80 lb. mono. Depending on the current I use a 10 to 16 oz. bank sinker and a 8/0 to 10/0 treble hook.

6. J.BENKE

J.BENKE New Member

State:
    murray, KENTUCKY
    i like to go snaggin down below ky dam, when the spoonbill are out and runnin on the surface.

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    John, I use to snag up to a dozen paddlefish a day. A couple of years back the state put a two fish limit on them, so now it is two, if I get any.

Jayson, I like to use a ten or twelve foot surf rod with a large capacity spinning reel. Lots of folks use different gear and many use baitcasters like your larger ABUs or Penns. I use the omniflex line from walmart, cause it is cheap and you go through alot. I usually use 30 pound line. I also use a 7/0 or 8/0 treble with a five ounce bank sinker below it for weight. Vern

8. J.BENKE

J.BENKE New Member

State:
    murray, KENTUCKY
    as far as snaggin poles go, ive known guyes to tapes eyes on pool cues and broom sticks. for reels i use a big baitcasting reel with heavy line.

9. J.BENKE

J.BENKE New Member

State:
    murray, KENTUCKY
    i think that the state of ky has put a 7 foot 6inch legal limit to the length of a snaggin rod(dont quote me on that length). so dont get caught using a 12foot surf rod, although i wont tell if u dont

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jacob, that limit is only for Kentucky dam tailwaters, it doesn't apply to the rest of the state. They have a rod length restriction there, because snagging use to by so popular that a long rod made it dangerous for by standers. I mainly snag the Ohio, but when I snag the KY lake tailwaters I drop back to a 7 footer. The 12 footer lets me fish water that most people can't reach, we also use lighter line and MH rods instead of the rods like pool cues. Vern

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Well, I'm four days into the paddlefish season this year and still haven't caught one. I have tried both the local holes that usually produce big for me with no results. Chuck did catch a small blue yesterday though on the first cast. Any snaggers out there having any luck? Vern

12. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What the heck is snagging?

13. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky
    snaggin sure sounds like fun.when does the season end?

14. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    The snagging season in KY runs from February 1 till May 10. The regs are posted in the fihing regulation and boating guide every year. Vern

15. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Ven.
    Is it true that in Kentucky you can only snag form the bank and not out of a boat? And how many Spoonbill can you keep per day ? Can you cull any of them? Thanks
    Olddriller Retired Going Fishing doin't block the ramp.
    Paul

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Paul, we can only snag from the bank here in KY. Also, KY has a two paddlefish limit with no culling. Unfortunately there is no size limit in place, like MO and if the two fish you snag weigh a pound that is your daily limit. Vern

17. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Vernon
    Thanks for clearing that up for me . The booklet I got from the State of Ky. said 8 fish? Owell 2 makes more sence, save some for later.
    Paul
    Olddriller ( Retired going fishing doin't block the ramp.)
    Paul

18. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Paul, the 8 fish limit is the posted number of fish you are allowed to snag at the tailwaters of KY Lake. This includes sportfish species, which is illegal to snag in other bodies of water. The deal is if the statewide limit of any species, be it paddlefish or any of the sportfiah species is reached before the 8 fish limit, snagging is to cease immediatly. Also if all 8 fish are of a rough fish species ie.(carp, suckers, etc.) singly or combined then snagging must also cease. The only exception is shad do not count as one of the 8 fish. Vern