Paddle or Peddle?

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by rush_60, Dec 31, 2008.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I've been looking around for a new kayak, and while I didnt like them at first, I've been looking at the hobies. Other than their price, I like the new models. I'll be sure to take a test paddle or peddle before I buy anything.

2. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    I have yet to try a peddle kayak, but fish with some guys that swear by them! They certainly do have their advantages, they are great on windy days, faster than a paddle kayak, hands are more free for fishing.

They are also pricey. I wouldn't mind owning a hobie, but I really like my paddle kayak! My next boat will probably be a 09 tarpon, not sure what footage, but they are awesome kayaks!

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I've seen a few guys use them in Destin and they look good cause you can troll around or hold your position and cast at the same time. It get aggavating picking up the paddle all the time. I have to stick to the paddle though cause I'm always dragging the hull over rocks and stumps to get to where I want to fish. Can't have little feet hanging down under the boat:wink:

4. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Casey there is a Hobie dealer that I stopped at near where I used to work. I like their boats and would love to have one at some point as my "fleet" grows but it would sure be limited to open water. You could not take one MOST of the places I go. One of the things I like the best about being in a Yak is that they are kind of like the ultimate water ATV. If I were only going to be on open water I would likley buy something with a motor. :wink:
    http://www.midamericasailing.com/
    This place does a demo days down at Hillsdale. Don't know when their next one will be but we should hook up and go try them out when ever they do it again.

5. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

The mirage drive pulls out the top in like 3 seconds in the new hobies, so you can pretty much go anywhere. Thats one of the main things I like about the new ones. They also have some upgradable fins so you can get even more speed. I think this would be the ultimate MO river kayak. I would love to be able to hold my position and fish. If you hear when they are doing their demo let me know.

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Casey, don't forget that you can also get the sail kit for the Hobie. 3 modes of travel, can't beat that.:wink:
    From what I've heard, they paddle just like the OK Prowler Big Game.

If everything goes right, I'm planning on getting one this summer, and spend a week either on Texoma or Canton Lake with it.

Will

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    By the way, Hobie is no longer the only game in town when it comes to peddle craft. Check out the Native Watercraft drive option also.

I have fished in fairly high winds, usually finding myself drifting into the shallows. I have occasionally been frustrated by having to paddle, especially with a fish on. However, this has usually been when fishing for anything other than catfish. Even then, one handed paddling is not too difficult with practice, and not necessary if you can anchor. I find myself trolling for catfish from the rear rod holders; this has proven most effective for catfish anyway.

I wouldn't trade paddling for peddling, really. There is just something special about paddling a kayak that is every bit as enjoyable to me as fishing.

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They would be great for doing bass fishing and trolling. They would kinda stink for the way I fish. I will run up on trees that are down in the water and get the tree between the tunnel hull so I can fish in one place. If I get a big one it just pulls me off the tree. I think I would smash up the pedal system where I fish.

9. Lucian

Lucian New Member

State:
    Michigan
    The 14.5 Native Ultimate propel drive works great and moves the kayak at a much faster rate than paddling. I can peddle mine close to 5mph vs. a Ocean trident 15 which I can paddle comfortably 3.5mph. The drive unit swings/ pivots out toward the bow and the kayak is then just like a paddle ultimate. The ability to maneuver a peddle kayak is not as good as using a paddle. Thus if you are trying to maintain your position and just change your heading with a peddle kayak you can not. For going straight and a limited amount of course correction paddle kayaks are great. Also with the Ultimate you can peddle and go backwards, with the Hobie you can't.

Also keep in mind the posture associated with a peddle craft. I find that you tend to lean back more in a reclined position with the peddle kayaks. That can be good or bad depending on the individual. Thus, an important thing to remember ..... "Try Before You Buy". many retailers have demo days where anyone can go and try the various models.

Lucian

Ocean Kayak, Pro Staff (Michigan)

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the great input, Lucian, and welcome to the BOC!

It's always good to have another kayaker on board the BOC. :0a25: