Paddle Fish Found In Lake Wawasee, Indiana

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by field989, Jul 14, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i read this in "Indiana outdoor news" website is -IndianaoutdoorNews.net- if u want to find more info

a dead paddle fish was found dead in lake wawasee, it was believed to weigh 100lbs with a girth of 38" and it was 64" in length it was believed that the fish died sometime over memorial day weekend and there was cuts down its back (from a boat running over it) it is still unknown if there is a established population of paddle fishes there the fish was said to be quite old according to a bioliogist

just figured id share it with u guys... pretty interresting eh

Jeff

2. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    was that lake made by damming up a river? i thought paddlefish were strictly river fish. sounds pretty neat though.

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well it says there were no records of them ever being in there naturally

but yes quite interresting

id probabaly say someone put it in there

4. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I caught a 42 pounder a month ago in the Alabama river and didn't know what the heck it was. The reserch I read reported that they only are found in the Alabama and Missouri river systems and are protected because they were almost fished out of existence (roe and meat). I didn't know they were in lakes too. Man they are a very beautiful fish. I pulled mine up tail first and thought I had caught a bull shark.

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I belive this is a natual lake. mother nature somtimes stocks fish where they weren't before. Someone my have stocked it for weed control. I know some old timers that used to do this in lakes. It may have been a very lonely fish for a long time.

6. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    they are abundant in oklahoma on the arkansaw river its even legal to snag them in certain places i seen a guy snag a 140+ pounder below keystone dam one night he took a picture of it and released it because its illegal below keystone its there breeding ground there