Packaged shad?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by charlestoncatman, Aug 30, 2007.

1. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    has anyone tried packaged shad? i cant talk myself into trying them if i dont know how good they are..so i was just wondering what you all thought?

2. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    You read my mind! I'm leaving tomorrow to head out for a weekend of dove hunting and catfishin', and when I went on over to Wal-Mart today for some shells, I found some of these packaged shad. They were only a couple of bucks, so I picked up a couple of packs. Figured it was worth a shot, but I'll let you know how they work out come Tuesday!

3. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Most of the time the packs are broken up from others handling them. The shad are dried out.
    Guess I'll stick with with fresh.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I haven't bought bait in forever. Probably depends on what you're fishing for. I've heard they work for channels, but if I was going to spend money at Wally World for channel cat bait I'd just as soon buy the livers in the grocery section. Messy, but effective.:wink:Good Luck!

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    had a friend buy and use a pack on the river here in ky and he said he never got the first hit. he bought it from wally world.

6. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    tried them a couple times...complete waste of money. every rod except the packaged shad caught fish both times.
    chip

7. txcatfisher

txcatfisher New Member

State:
    texas
    if i was you and im not i wouldnt waist my money on it i have tried them before and they dont work for me but that is your preference but on a scale 1 to 10 they suck:cool2:

8. Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan New Member

State:
    Az
    I actually used some the other night and ended up using liver instead... if i hadnt wasted the time on those things i would have caught alot more fish, the chanels were on point that night...i might try them again but i might soak them in something because the anise scent wasnt to strong....

9. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    You'd be better off usisng any type of cut fish you can catch, shad or herring are preferable, but any of the sunfish, carp, or sucker fishes will work if there are any hungry blues or channels in the area u decide to fish. Good luck!

10. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bought a package a few years ago, totaled the truck and had the wrecker park it in the pasture. Truck set there for few years with the shad inside, even after all that time and temp extremes they were still just like when I bought em, and no fish were caught with em either. The mice and rats wouldn't even eat em.

11. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I will agree, I got some and used them on the ohio river also and didn't get the first nibble. I did get some good advice out of the deal though. I will be getting that cast net tonight. I will have All the shad or other bait fish I need then

12. charlestoncatman

State:
    arkansas
    well, that answers my question...lol

13. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    they take out all of the insides like the heart and stuff like that too...

14. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Buy the cheap wieners they work better than packaged shad

15. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    They are a waste of money. Never caught anything with them.:angry:

16. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have tried them a few times and have never had any luck with them. In my opinion they are a waste of money. If you don't have access to fresh shad, I would just buy the worms and use them. They seem to outfish the packages shad.

17. charlestoncatman

State:
    arkansas
    i have never even tried shad, ive used livers(who hasnt?) ive tried hot dogs(not one bite....ever...) blue gill, beef liver, and a cigarrette butt dipped in stink bait( caught a 2 lber) i guess i need to try shad

18. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanx Buck---If the mice won't eat 'em, neither will the kitties.

19. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I hope you mean fresh shad, because after reading this thread I think I'd use a bare hook before wasting money on the packaged shad or maybe just put the money I'd have spent on the hook. Seems like it's got a better chance.:big_smile:

20. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    they are terrible i bought a couiple of packs and they fell off the hook every time