Packaged Shad (or Shiners)

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Raven Blayde, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I normally use live bluegill for my bait, but with the creeks being up so bad right now from the rain, I wasn't able to get any yesterday. I'm wanting to hit the river really bad this morning and have no bait! :sad2: I remember seeing packaged shad or shiners (not sure which it was) at Walmart on the shelves. Are these worth trying ? Anybody have any luck with these things? Thanks in advance.

2. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    No, there's a huge thread about them on here. Go to baitshop and buy whatever they have, then you have a chance.

3. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    tried them and didnt catch anything

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have tried those and did not good.... what I would suggest is getting some chicken liver....if the river is up then you should do pretty good on channel and blues....

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If you buy that prepackaged bait from Wal-Mart, use the wrapper in comes in you will have a better chance of catching a fish.:smile2:

All joking aside do like the other guys said and you will have better luck.

6. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Too late. I went to Walmart before daylight this morning. Bought 3 packs of it and headed to the river- Didn't get a single bite. Looks like I learned the hard way on this one.

7. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Good question...I am glad you asked and sorry that you learned the hard way. I didn't know either but now I do...thanks

8. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah this stuff is pretty bad... My understanding is they dehydrate all the oils out of the fish to sell shad oil and stuff seperately. So they are selling you their garbage thats left over from making these oils. I agree about going to a bait shop. I think thats gonna be ur best bet...good luck man...

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    use anything you can get your hands on, worms, liver anything, but dont use that prepackaged shad.

Some bait shops sell frozen shad, that would work better than that walmart shad.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know of a bait and tackle dealer that will send you frozen skipjack, shipped anywhere in the united states, shipped on dry ice...it can be expensive, but it will work.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bobby as stated the Walmart Shad is junk. I would suggest you purchase shrimp, from the local grocery store, and soak in Garlic.