Packaged shad for blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by south_va_fisherman, Apr 7, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    how can i make them a little more appealing to blues? thanks

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    salt them with pickling salt will help some. they are gonna get a little soft no matter what you do. fresh is always the 1st choice but when you have no fresh it is better to have frozen than none.

3. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I never liked packaged shad or even frozen shad for that matter. Fresh shad always works best for me. but if you have to use packaged shad I heard that sprinkling garlic on them works.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Packaged shad!!!! Don't waste your money on them. They will only catch fishermen, not fish!!!!

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    fresh are always best but some people dont know any better so they spend their money on packaged , get yourself a cast net and learn to use it

6. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia

i got a cast net and can use it, i just cant use it easily where im going. its the warm water canal in a nuclear power plant.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Then your best bet would be to catch some somewhere else and take them with you. Those packaged shad have been dehydrarated and have no scent left in them to attract fish.

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i always take shad with me when i go out of town fishing. i net them and they immediately go on ice. when i get to shore they get rinsed off (ammonia) and go into bags, and back on ice. to get frozen as soon as i get home. i never put my shad in water trying to keep them alive. unless i'm somewhere it's convienant to hang a big bait bucket over the side of the boat. they die in minutes in a livewell or bucket. dont ever buy the putred mess they sell at walmart and bait stores labeled as shad. it looks like the shad died from a disease or something, washing ashore before being collected for sale..ick, man..

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I saw those a wally world the other day and they were like 3-5 bucks for like 6 or 7 shad, I couldn't believe it. One good throw could make me like 1000 bucks. Easy. I say get a good net and learn how to use it it will pay off or try going to a little creek and catching some gills or shiners.

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've tried the packaged shad before. They SUCK. I used them in some good spots, and never got a single bite. Fresh shad will outfish them 1000-0 in my experience. Never a single bite on them, can't emphasize that enough. The places where I was fishing them have good cats of all sizes, and nothing even touched them.

I agree, they catch only fishermen. Did I mention they suck?

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There you have it, the jury has spoken, and I ditto. Packaged shad from the store are TOTALLY useless. Might as well use a piece of leather from your shoe. I haven't found much that a catfish won't eat except for these. I've tried these and never got a single bite. Complete waste of time, and money. JMHO.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have try Packaged Shad, and they dont work. They just get ur money.

13. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois

aggreed i had a live gill on one pole and those ''shad'' things on another one at the same time and didnt get any bites