pack bait

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by countrycat15, Apr 15, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay guys, i have a quistion.what exactly pack bait?i was fishin at a local carplake yesterday and was not catching anything but the guy next to me was tearin' em up. so what is it and how do i make it. any info yall can give will help me out alot. thanks.

oh yea and i finnaly got to try that magic vinilla carp bait i bought and needless to say i did not get so much as a bite.

2. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Pack bait is a bait that you pack on your hook and it breaks down in a few minutes after you cast it out. What it does is breaks down around your hookbait and makes a feeding area around your hook. Alot of people will put a wooden bead on their hook and then pack around it. You can also use corn on the hook. A good recipe for pack is millet (birdfood) and Karo Syrup. Google it and I am sure you will find hundreds of recipes for good pack. The one that I use the most is bran flakes, oatmeal, and creamed corn....and maybe throw in some breadcumbs. Pack it around the hook really well (squeeze as hard as you want) and throw it out. Will break down in about 2-3 minutes. When using pack, make sure you cast as close as you can to the same spot everytime. Makes a big feeding zone. Hope this helps.

3. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    take you a can of corn and chum a area up and in a few minute just cast out in the middle of it..i had good luck today with a bait i made up that has spinach in it and it works well. i have a post on here about it.check it out under the carp fishing section:)

4. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    chumming with corn does work great. i like to spice my corn up a little though. i usually will buy the biggest can of corn i can get, one of those commodity sizes and i take some kool aid, orange seems to work best, and mix into the corn. then i pour in about a cup of sugar and add some vanilla. i put this in a big pot and bring it to a boil on the stove. then i let it cool and set it in the fridge. the boiling not only gets the flavor into the corn better but also seems to make the corn a little tougher. i get to my favorite spot and start tossing it out and bait my hook and wait. it usually don't take long for em to start hammering it.