PA Scrapbook n Stuff

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Dmcsa1201, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    I figured id make this since all i do is catfish and i end ip catching other fish that i use with the bait i use for catfish. So just post some other fish here if you want.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nice pics Damien! :cool2: Thanks for sharing! I'll get some on here soon as I'm done chasing deer with my bow! :wink:

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    nice pics. if you get some walleye that are legal use them for bait, the flatties like'em. i used a 17 inch walleye this year and had one take it but it pulled off the hook and took my walleye with it.

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I have been saying that for a while now. Flatheads and Walleye have to bump into each other, They are both nocturnal feeders.

5. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    As of cut bait or whole? Tail or Head?

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i use them live but cut might work now as cold as it is.

7. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    did you catch that walleye in the daytime?

8. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    Yea it was like 340 in the afternoon off a shad.

9. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I thought they were night feeders?

10. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    Not necessarly. i have caught pretty much all my walleye in the daytime. From 6am to 6pm from what i remember.

11. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    I caught a mud puppie the other night. It was pretty cool. I think it was a mud puppie. It looked like a really big salamander/lizzard. hahaha. Forgot to take a picture cause i didnt know if i should touch him cause he was a stinky little bastard.:smile2:

12. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Yeah thats what I thought until this august when I caught one 22" long...

turns out to be something called a hellbender There's a very good population of them in the alleghany.
    "
    What's a hellbender?
    Hellbenders (Cryptobranchus alleganiensis) are extremely large, completely aquatic salamanders native to the eastern United States. The largest hellbender ever recorded was nearly 21/2 ft. long.

These salamanders need cool, clear streams and rivers with many large rocks. They feed almost entirely on crayfish, but will also eat small fish, invertebrates, and other hellbenders. They will also scavenge for anything that smells good (or bad, depending on your outlook)-- this is why they are often caught on fishing lines.

Cool, clear streams are important because hellbenders breathe entirely through their skin! They have lungs, but rely on the thousands of capillaries found in the fleshy folds of skin along their body and legs to get oxygen from the water.
    Hellbenders live a long time! The oldest known hellbender in captivity was 29 years and individuals in the wild likely live that long or longer. Because they live so long, the removal of adults from the wild can cause populations to dwindle.
    Where do they live?
    Hellbenders were once widely distributed throughout the Appalachian Mountains and across the midwestern United States to the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas and Missouri (see map). There are actually two subspecies of hellbenders. The Ozark subspecies (Cryptobranchus alleganiensis bishopi) only occurs in northern Arkansas and southern Missouri. The eastern subspecies makes up the rest of the range.
    In general, hellbenders only occur in Gulf of Mexico drainages, or those streams that eventually flow to the Mississippi River. One exception is the Susquehanna River in New York and Pennsylvania, which flows east to the Atlantic Ocean.
    Hellbender populations have drastically declined throughout their range, mainly because of declining stream quality.

Today, hellbender populations generally occur in small pockets of habitat and the most abundant populations are now restricted to mountainous areas with little human settlement. The last great hellbender streams likely occur in a narrow region of rugged mountains extending from eastern West Virginia south through Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and ending in north Georgia. A small area of northwestern Pennsylvania also harbors several good watersheds. "

13. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    thats what i thought it was but my buddy kept telling me it was a damn mud puppie. so thats what i stuck with.

14. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.
  15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    nice job on a great year ken:wink:

16. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Good job nice fish !!!!!! I hope I have half that much success my first full season out :wink:

17. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    NICE Ken! You are a "Flat Head Fanatic"

18. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Hey Jim why dont you post your slide show of some of cat's from last year? I'm talkin about the one with the hiller's in it.:wink:

19. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    I'm pretty sure that I had posted that vid here previously.

20. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.