PA Saltwater fisherman

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Blacky, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Now that it is cold and the flathead fishing would prove futile, it's time for me to morph/transform into a saltwater fisherman. I can get to my best saltwater fishing holes in the southern New Jersey coast within 1.5 hours drive.

Unlike the dirty-polluted-PCB rivers, fish from the ocean are clean enough to harvest.

I hope to share all my saltwater experience this year. Here are some pics of recent trips to the Joisy shore this past fall.

Attached Files:

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    These fish were harvested for the table. Very flaky white meat. Good shashimi too.

Attached Files:

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    And here some striped bass from last saturday.

Good eatins!

Attached Files:

4. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    Thanks for sharing Tan. I only ate ocean run stripers once & you are right, some good eating! What kind of fish are the ones in the first two set of pics?

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Them stripers legal? LOL!

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    They are called Tautog aka blackfish.

They live in rocks and jetties.

Fight better than smallmouths.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The one in the middle is 30 inches.

Ones on top and bottom were at 28.

Wish the they kept the slot fish rule cause the bigger ones don't taste too good.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Good photo's one day I make it down there Tan...One day....Its been a while for me since I have done that type of fishing...

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Sitting on the banks of the Skuke may not be a fruitful as the bounty of the ocean.

10. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I can testify to that 2 days in a row and the best thing I got was 2 pvc pipe rod holders and one little bullhead

11. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Hey Tan what jetty is that?? It almost look's the South jetty in Barnagat. With out a doubt those are two best eaten fish that swim in the Atlantic.

12. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I used to fish in the salt, but there is not really enough excitment for me up here.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Jim,

I rarely fish that north is Jersey. I stick to south Jersey where I spent one summer working at a bait shop. I rarely fish north of Atlantic City.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Salt is where it at! Many more different species, bigger fish, you can eat them without growing 3 ears, and you can fish it 12 months out of the year.

Growing up in Indiana, I would usually hang it up in November and start back up in April. But now living in Eastcoast where the Mighty Skuke is 10 a 10 minute drive and the ocean so close, I have a wide range of fishing options anytime of the year.

If it wasn't for flatheads, I would never fish freshwater. HONESTLY!

15. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I don't know about that Tan. I have yet to catch a #30 striper. I used to fish the shore all the time. I guess I got spoiled in Fl. I don't eat fish so I don't care if I can keep them or not. I don't see the point of driving over an hour to catch a few fish that might weigh a few pounds each. I do get to go out a few times a year in my buddies 28' Triton for blues and flounder though. I have more fun snaggin bunker thatn fishing.

16. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The driving is what gets me Ken. Three hour plus round trip. When i was a younger and full of energy and gas was .99 cent i would go all the time. This thing call work takes up so much time and energy. Me and my old buddies use to make a point to go down a few times. But you know how lifes commitment (kids,warden's) makes it hard. Lol.. Still I sometimes yearn to go back....Its actually how I got started fishing....Old man started me off on Blues etc...

17. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am realy tring to go to Fl. to visit this winter. I just don't know if I can afford it. When I get there it is cheap cause All I realy do is fish and spearfish. Both of whitch I can do from the banks. The winter time is good fishing for the stuff I like. I get Bull Reds #30-#50, nice Grouper and Snapper, and when the conditions alow I get some Lobster to. I still get to go out on boats though. My mom has a 24' boat and my best friend down there from high school has a 31' boat. Man I hope I can go:0a32:

18. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I am heading out on a boat near Point Pleasant in like 2 weeks. I think the boat is called Norma K 3 its a party boat we are gonna rec fish during the day and the the fun starts at night for the blues man they are fun and when you are done fishing you are tired of reeling in fish lol fun stuff guys you guys ever fish for blues in the dark WOW

19. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Hell it only cost 50 bucks to go out on the Norma K for like 8 hours and they supply the bait you can bring your own rod if you want but they will supply 1 if you dont have a heavy enough one

20. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I think a Blues trip would be cool. I would only want to go for the Hammer Blues though. How big are they this time of year?