Pa. Ice Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I thought I'd start a new thread on ice fishing now that the lakes are freezing over. I'm hoping that the hardwater anglers will post their reports here. I'm taking a ride today to check on ice thickness at a local lake. I usually go after Trout but sometimes fish for Largemouth and Panfish. Anyone interested in giving ice fishing a try let me know, I have plenty of gear. I got a power auger also so we don't have to bust our butt's drilling holes. ;)

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Hit the ice today. Went to Glade Run Lake in Butler County. Wow! What crazy weather, first it was raining, then freezing rain, then snow, then a blizzard, the wind was howling, then back to freezing rain, then back to snow, holy cow!!! I caught 3 Bluegill, 1 Crappie & 1 Perch. Here's the sign of a catfish hunter - I kept thinkin' "man, what awesome Flathead bait these would be"!

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Fished Glade Run Lake again today with long time ice fishin' partner Billy B. Got out at first light and stayed till 3PM. We had a field day on Crappies. We lost count of the total cause the action was so fast and furious but we pulled in at least 50 but probably more like 60 or 70 fish. Couldn't keep the lines all in the water at times. The Crappies were all around 9" - 10" and were just pounding fatheads. By far the best Crappie day I've ever experienced on the ice. Also caught 3 Largemouth Bass with the largest measuring 14 1/2" and the other two about 12" on fatheads and 2 Bluegills on maggots. All fish were caught and released. Took a few photos, I'll post when I get film developed. :0a18: Oh yeah, forgot to mention ice is 4" thick but was pretty sloppy on top from snow, rain, sleet, etc.

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Fished a local pond today. It was brutal out!!! 8 Degrees in the morning with the wind blowing hard. I caught 1 fish - a 10 inch Bluegill that was just a fat pig, the biggest gill I think I've ever caught at least weight wise. The porker took a fathead. I fished hard, drillin' and fishin' 18 different holes. Fish just were not bitin'.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Hit the ice again today. Made a road trip to Cloe Lake, Jefferson County. Fished from 12 noon till 4:30PM. Caught 2 Rainbow Trout both about 12 inches on fatheads, hooked 2 others but lost them before I got 'em up through the hole. A guy fishing near me pulled in 8 Trout on a "secret jig", plus 1 real nice Saugeye about 17" on the same jig. Wind was whipping hard again making sure my fingers were numb most of the time. Ice on Cloe is 6 1/2" thick. I'm planning on getting up early and hitting this lake again tomorrow.

6. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    sounds like your having a good time! lol your saying the ice aint think enough proably and im saying its not thin enough! im warm weather guy but i would go ice fishing in you were closer to me! its hard for me to get out with wrestling season and theres not to many nice lakes without a drive, some day ill get out,

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Ice fishing report - Thursday Dec.22, 2005. Made the run up to Cloe Lake again. Fished with my buddy "world reknowned ice angler Billy B." We hit the ice at 7:45 AM and fished till 2PM. We done really well, catching a combined total of 22 Rainbow Trout ranging in size from 9" up to 14". Fatheads were the number one bait of choice, also caught several on waxworms and one on powerbait. Action was real good early on and then on and off throughout the remainder of the day. I have a few photo's I just got back and will post shortly. Once again the wind was howling and made for cold fingers. :0a18:

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Ice fishing report - Friday Dec. 23, 2005. Hit Cloe Lake once again with several ice fishing legends - Billy B., Ralph "Trout Man" P. and Springdale Billy M. Real nice day out on the hardwater, temp. eventually reached 40 degrees although the wind chill made it feel much cooler. Fished from 7:45 AM till 2 PM. We caught a group total of 25 Rainbow Trout. Waxworms was the best bait today, accounting for about eighteen of the fish, fatheads claimed maybe four and I pulled in three on a new ice jig I was trying for the first time. I'm off work till Jan. 3 that's why I've been able to get out a lot lately. Once I'm back to work fishing time will be hard to come by so I'm making the best of it now. :0a18: Won't be able to go over the weekend due to the holiday.

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Here's a few photo's from Thursday's ice angling adventure.

Attached Files:

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    A couple more photo's from Thurs.

Attached Files:

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    :0a18: Here's a few photo's from Dec. 16 at Glade Run Lake.

Attached Files:

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    :0a23: Merry Christmas to all B.O.C. members!!! Hope Santa brings everyone the fishing equipment they were hoping for! :0a22:

:0a18:

13. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Hey Pennsylvaniacatchaser, do you ever fish up at Lake Arthur? Thats where I usually go...

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    the_nis - I havn't hit Lake Arthur for a couple years but would like to give it a try. When you get that leg healed up and are ready to go give me a holler and I'd be happy to join you at Moraine. I hear the boys are catchin' some real nice Largemouths and Northerns up there. I hope the ice doesn't become shaky from the warmer weather we have been having.

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    A few photo's of my youngest daughter showin' the boys how it's done! :0a18: :D

Attached Files:

16. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Yeah I'm hoping this warm spell doesn't do too much damage to the ice. If you remember last year, at least at Moraine, the lake froze over then melted then froze again. I think it really threw everything off last year in doing so. Keep the pics rollin' in! Its good to see that you're getting your kids involved with fishing.

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    the_nis - yes I remember what happened last year with the ice. It was weird cause the second ice didn't become safe till the end of January but then set a new record by being good till like March 10. Very rare to be able to safely ice fish in March but it happened this past year.
    My kids all enjoy fishing and do a pretty good job of makin' dad proud! I'll post a picture or two of each of them in action from this year (not from the ice but out on the boat & stocking trout, etc.).

Attached Files:

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    more photos of my girls fishin' 2005 :)

Attached Files:

19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    a few more of the ladies in action!

Attached Files:

20. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Great pics!

Yeah I didn't have all that much luck last year ice fishing. I talked to a bunch of people and it seemed pretty consistent that nobody had a great year. My guess it was because of the thawing and refreezing. So where is Glade Run Lake?