PA Hunters......

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by PABowhunter4life, Jun 20, 2009.

1. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    I apologize that this has nothing to do with fishing, but I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew about the hunting license changes for this season. The first round of sending in doe tags will now start on July 13th as opposed August like it has been for years. They are going to a license format similar to the fishing licenses where it is all printed electronically. You will be able to buy your second spring gobbler tag at your local store as opposed to sending in for it and there are a few other changes as well.

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    :crazy:WOW! Thanks John! I had no idea things changed! :embarassed:

3. PABowhunter4life

State:
    Blawnox, PA

No problem bud! Unfortunately nobody seems to be aware of it. I am a member of the United Bowhunters of PA and I am part of their email focus group which is how I first heard about it. Then a couple of weeks ago there was a TINY article in the paper about it. You'd think that the PGC would broadcast such drastic changes a little more but then again, it is the PGC :confused2:

4. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    Thanks..............I wouldn't have known about it myself but got an E-mail from our state rep Karen Bobek a while ago. I bet there are a lot of hunters that don't have that info yet.

5. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Thanks for the info. I hunt in 5C so there isn't to much of a shortage in doe tags. Do you know how many they are going to issue in 5C this year?

6. PABowhunter4life

State:
    Blawnox, PA

Honestly bud I can't recall :sad2:

7. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Goin to get mine tomorrow. I just found out about the move in doe tags on Friday. Used to be a UBP member too but we clashed on a few things and I quit. A good buddy of mine (Art) is pretty high up in the UBP. 5C is the Eastern equivalent of 2B here in the west. Just about unlimited tags available. You can go to the courthouse and walk out with as many as you want to buy. Doesnt matter how many tags they issue when the deer are in the safety zones and posted ground though:angry:.

Goin to have to get an archery thread started here pretty soon. Saw some bucks with potential the other evening on my scouting trip. Cant wait until FRESH BACKSTRAPS are back in season!!

8. PABowhunter4life

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    They're definitely not perfect, but they're the only group in PA that is fighting for bowhunters and we truly do owe them a lot. So I'm willing to put our differences aside if it means they'll keep going to war for us :wink:

9. PABowhunter4life

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    On a side note, here is the left side of the SMALLER of the (2) 10 points I have been chasing for 2 years now. I found this one in March. 22" main beams :crazy: .............. had my buddy put a tape to it and since the right side is a perfect match he gave it a "conservative" score of 142"....

[​IMG]

10. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    FRESH BACKSTRAPS amen

11. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    nice shed there John. i got an 8 point the last day of rifle season in '05 that scored 140 2/8". hope this is your year to finally get one of the ones your chasing.

12. PABowhunter4life

State:
    Blawnox, PA

Thanks bud. Congrats on a nice buck as well!

I have passed on some very, VERY nice deer because I know these (2) bruisers are in the area but I have to be honest, I am having some regrets as I look back at the ones I let walk lol :sad2:

13. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    HAHA, you hunt like I do. Pass, pass, pass, .......shit:eek:oooh:. My best to date with a bow is 144". Second buck with a bow. There are some REAL dandies out there now that the restrictions are playin out. I had both of the good ones in bow range within an hour of each other last year and couldnt stick either one.:angry: Passed on multiple legal ones and a couple nice ones to get there and poof, they were gone. Got permission to hunt some new ground where a great 12 and GOOD 10 were running last year and I never heard of either being killed and a buddy showed me where a guy found a MONSTER shed this spring.:wink: Hopefully this year we can get some BOC horn on the ground in archery season. If I remember correctly, every PA deer killed in archery last year was a slickhead.

14. PABowhunter4life

State:
    Blawnox, PA

LOL............ yep. Last year was probably my biggest bonehead move to date. Long story short, I had a 120-125" 8 point dogging a doe @ 7 yards and let him go because the rut was just getting going and I figured one of the big boys would make a mistake. Turns out I was mistaken :sad2:

To the best of my knowledge they are both still around (saw one for sure during turkey) and even bigger this year which for the bigger 10 point just makes him WOW! To boot, that's just one spot I hunt, and like you, I gained access to some new land as well. I just have to find time to scout it.

Good luck this season brother!

15. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Had my climber slip on me and cause me an easy shot at one last year and then an hour later had the other doggin a doe and wouldnt stop for anything. The first one came down the exact trail I did about 15 before:eek:oooh:. I had a drag out behind me on the way in and my stand site was at the intersection of 2 main trails. Problem was the stand was facing the wrong way (of course). I had JUST got the bow pulled up and an arrow knocked and hadnt even switched from my latex gloves to scent-lok ones or put my mask back on when I heard somethin comin from where I had just come. I figured it was "just another #$@ *!$^ $&!$%* squirrel" until I heard it huffin and puffin. I snuck a peek around the tree and when I saw the left side of the rack I about shit. Here's one of the bucks Ive been hunting all year and now the frickin thing is 4 yards from my tree and Im sitting here like an idiot. Anyhow, he stood at the intersection and pondered which way to go for about 2 minutes (felt like 2 hours) and then decided my wick and Kirshners scent was no good and went down the trail behind me. I slid around to the rail of my climber and got to about half draw and the top section of my climber slid about a foot (felt like 10). The buck jumped and ran about 10 yards and then kept on walking like nothing ever happened. I grunted and bleated at him and he looked back but wouldnt commit again.

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Speaking of hunting, does anyone know the bowfishing laws here in PA? Can I go to any body of water and start shooting away?

I have eyed this beginner bowfishing set up on Ebay for about a month!

I plan on getting the next state record carp on a BOW!:angry::wink::big_smile:

Soon there will be fertilizer and coon bait for all!:eek:oooh:

17. Bigfish4me

Bigfish4me New Member

State:
    Conshy Pa

I would like to give it a go......i think the 320 feet per second my bow shoots just might be a little overkill:roll_eyes:......it would be a little comical to stake one to the bottom of the river though.......can we get an open season on cormorants, theres hundreds of the bait gobbling son's of B#*ches lined up across the power lines in my stretch.

18. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    i think its anywhere except trout approved waters

19. Sorry bro:embarassed:, though I agree with ya:wink:............

The Cormorant is protected under the 1916 Migratory Bird Treaty with Canada, indirectly under the Ramsar Convention, and the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 (MBTA). :angry::angry::angry:

20. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You can't shoot carp around any public places either like boat ramps and where people are having a picnic.
    Dcnr kicked me out once.