PA Fish Commission

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Spider, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I don't believe it, well actually it doesn't surprise me. Anyway, I was watching a call in talk show on the Public Channel (don't what channel it is) and at one point I would have called in if the show was not a broadcast of a taped show.
    At one point the host asked the Commission guys what fish were indigenous to PA. Of course that would be a very long list. The host asked about the rainbow trout. The guy answers that the Rainbow is really not indigenous to PA but rather west and north. This is where I would have called and questioned why they can stock the rainbows knowing they are not a native species and turn around and complain about flathead catfish. What's the difference? The principle is the same. Then there is not an opening day for cats and I'm glad there isn't.
    Another example of people creating rules and laws that haven't a clue about what they talking about or are letting the almighty dollar dictate the outcome.

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

The fish commision is what it is and will probaly alwats be.I,ve always said it should be the PA TROUT COMMISION. Thank God they are,nt regulating the catfish. If it aint broke why fix it?

3. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Just use trout for bait. Just make sure it's 7 inches. That will make the fish commissioners happy. I'm thinking of bringing my big cooler down the creek for first day. And when I catch trout around 7-9 inches....in the cooler they go:smile2:

4. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    i was thinking the same thing, thats the only reason i have now to go trout fishing....BAIT!!!! LOL:smile2:

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Other species not indigenous to SE PA waters included:

smallmouth bass
    largemouth bass
    musky
    channel cat
    carp
    brown trout
    walleye
    snakeheads

The reason why the Fish Commision don't like them is NOT because the eat gamefish, it is because they don't make much money for the state as bass and stocked trout. Did you know more men bought PA licsense in 2009 to go trout fishing than flatheading?:cool2::wink:

without non-native species, the Schuylkill would be nothing but white perch, bullheads, shad, and stripers. Sounds fun to me:embarassed:.

6. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    That's only because they want to go out and snatch up hatchery fish that generally gulp up about anything before they know any better. Catching fish like cats, bass, walleye would take time and effort.
    I never could get excited about trout fishing. I have two fly rods and like fishing with the ultra light one just for fun of catching even sunnies. I can't seem to get into catching 7" trout that were just out in from a hatchery truck. I personally don't care for trout anyway. I guess it's a matter of what you want and like to do. I like waiting for the chance to hook a fish that gives you a battle that taxes your equipment, and if you're lucky, doesn't steal the rod and reel when you're not looking.
    I've been there :eek:oooh:

7. nightfisher1

nightfisher1 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    only brook trout are native to PA, the brook trout is also our state fish.

8. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Stocked trout to me are now viewed as bait,Tan is right they make the most money off of people who line up to get their trout stamp for opening day.Alot of which go out for 2-3 days and catch a few trout and then that's it they are done for the year,I get full use of my fishing license!:wink: Until winter

9. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    Exactly. I've had people ask me when fishin season starts, I tell them January 1st and it last 365 days, 366 on leap year. Its ammusing to me that so many people think that theres only one fish in pa waters thats worth standing in line at walmart for 20 minutes the night before "Fishing Season" to drop $100 on gear and power bait and then go to a stream the next day and probably fish right next to the guy that was in front of him at walmart the night before, only being there for as long as it takes to catch 5 fish and brag about how much skill he has that he caught 5 fish that were in a truck the week before, fish that havent refined their instincts enough yet from being feed on a daily basis to even be the preadators that their suppost to be. IMO they should stock the streams in November or December then open "Fishing Season" in April then they might actullay understand what fishing is suppost to be like

10. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I better not chime in on this thread like I did on the similar one we had a couple months ago...I might be accused of being a "keyboard fisherman" again.:smile2::wink::eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

I will say that they are getting a LITTLE better, the stockings were about a week earlier than usual this year, at least around here.

11. Or worse, A PENGUINS FAN! <------Haha:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: LET'S GO FLYERS!

12. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    well, know that you have people to stick up for you:cool2:

anyway, criticizing the fish commission is overrated; tempting but useless. the commish operates by its own rules and is not as grounded in logic as they sometimes make it. It also is hopelessly impossible to influence unless you've got friends in high places.

the real winner is that however badly the stream, lakes and rivers of PA are sometimes managed. Pennsylvania habitat, scenery, and improving water quality have provided some very enjoyable experiences. Whether you appreciate trout or not, PA does have some very nice diversity not found in other places.

I still am suprised and happy just how varied local waters can be. With the very same bait(minnows), I can go from rockbass to big channels, lunker trout, bass, walleye, even an occasional northern pike or musky.

that is why, this year; when I have reported catches I have included ALL the many diverse predators Even on a website for catfish. I consider a big brown trout, smallmouth bass or walleye a prized catch, much like big channel cats or flatheads.

======================================================

For the record, you might consider Rainbow trout as far preferable in many waters to a flatheads. Indeed, since Rainbow trout do not reproduce in most of the state, perhaps they make more sense than some stockings.

Rainbow trout are popular, don't spawn, are intolerant for warm water hat means in most places there is a good chance any introduced trout are gone within a year; whether from bucket fishermen, predation without spawning replacement, or heat stress. PA has several efficient predators to take out excess, dying or stressed trout; everything from herons to muskies. Trout are also aren't particularly hard on minnow and forage populations.

Introduced in numbers, Flatheads would be a much bigger problem. There's not the fishermen to thin their numbers; they stand the heat and have no problem with spawning success in many riverine environments. ONce present they would soon heavily feeding on the forage. Up here in many relatively infertile reservoirs (Kinzua as an example); there's simply NOT the forage to support them. Also introduced flatheads would be relatively unpopular , as people point out the average PA fishermen is a stock truck chaser.

So I'm not saying the PA fish people make the rules in a fair, logical and/or transparent way. but I fear I'm going to have to say that rainbow trout stockings do kind of make sense (to ME).

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Why waste millions of dollars stocking a species that you know will die after the water temps go above 65 degrees when that same money can be taken to stock fish like bass, walleye, musky? In indiana, they stock hybrids like trout out there. Imagine catching 50 of these freshwater tunas a day? More fun than those stockers running downstream:smile2:. I would be content knowing there are more bass, walleye, and musky swimming around local lakes and rivers.

PA stocked trout ruins the God Almighty vision of true trout fishing. My father has fished for trout for 25 years and caught a total of around 7:crazy:. Plenty of guys out west and in the midwest stalk wild trout. Catching a few a day is good day. But here in a creek 2 miles from where I live, I can catch 20 rainbows and browns in under an hour.:wink::cool2:

But hey, can't complain, some stocking is better than no stocking! Lakes in California and rivers in the midwest that are stocked with trout also have big predators like stripers and LM bass that likes to eat them. Hopefully the eastern PA flatheads will build a taste for these fish.

I will try to catch a flathead on live trout this year.