Pa. Fish Commission -Flathead a nuisance

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by zeboman, Feb 17, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The PFBC has requested that fisherman kill all flatheads because they eat other sport fish like walleye,bass,etc. I personally will not take part in the killing of flatheads.I just hope the PFBC realizes what a careless and reckless request it has made attempting to eliminate a species.Oh well ,it won`t be the first time the state has screwed up or the last. CPR ALL FLATHEADS!!!!!!!

2. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats absolutely ridicoulus you should take that one to the game and fish board and i would fight it all the way through cause i love my ole pal flatty. Hope you guys work everything out and get it taken care of and flatty stays in the rivers and lakes. good luck guys!!!

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Won't be the first time selfish self serving individuals help destroy a balanced ecological system either.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Having mostly bass fishermen in the area. Im not worried about them catching alot of flatheads on jigs. So I think the species will be alright, its a very tuff fish and I dont see them being able to make a big impact, plus we dont have and comercial fishing for them so they are living Large. If we really want to voice our disapproval send a email to the local office. It is their job to make the people happy

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    We shouldn't have to worry about fisherman killing flatheads. The one's that are following the PABF Commission's request are bass and trout fisherman who accidently catch maybe a handful a year with jigs.

I cannot foresee anyone of the bass and trout fisherman purposely going out, catching bait, and sit around all night in dark swatting mosquitoes just to catch a few and kill them just to preserve the bass and trout fishery.

It's apparent, because since targeting them in 2003, they are getting bigger and bigger every year here in Philly.

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    All the local catfisherman I know practice CPR around here.:wink:
    Especially on flatheads.

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I am with the other guys. I release all my catch regardless of what it is. Unless of course I am using it for bait...........:wink:

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    save the flatheads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. cchichy

cchichy New Member

State:
    Cookport,
    yeah this organization is also part of the larger group that denies the fact that there are mountain lions in pa to .... not that i got anything against our fish commission or our wildlife experts ... but.....ummmm.... yeah

10. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There will not be any killing of flats by me. I CPR everything besides bait.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Shows how dumb some state officials are... anyone knows the only way to eradicate the flathead is to allow year round noodling. Hasn't worked in Oklahoma, but may it would in PA.

12. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I dont think they will be able to hurt the flathead fishing. It just gets better every year. I caught alot of flatheads last year that are going to be a very nice size in a few short years and still caught alot of big ones too. As long as those flathead keep eating what is swimming in the rivers I will stiill use those fish for bait.

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I was fishing the Allegheny River on pool #8 this past August by the #9 dam. I see the fish commission boat coming up river. They checked a few other boats then comes over and checks my pontoon which is covered with Catfish stickers. They checked my license and found everything to be in order. The younger officer asks if we are catching any Walleyes and I tell him no we are after Flatheads! The older officer kinda looks disgusted and says so you're not catching any Walleye? I said no but I would use it for bait if I did! They didn't look too happy with my response and headed back downriver! :crazy: :wink: :smile2: :roll_eyes:

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    they say to kill em all because they're not naturely occuring in our state and hence forth an invasive species as evil as the zebra mussle. I'd keep eating sized flats for the freezer if we had any my way but we dont. I'd cpr the big ones.

15. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That is Great!!!!

16. mrguffy

mrguffy New Member

State:
    Pa.
    It is amazing that the PFBC, just now realizes that big fish eat little fish. It is called nature. The PFBC must believe that a 5# Bass eats plastic, and a 30" Muskies eats brightly painted pieces of wood.
    Good luck and good fishing and remember to leave some for seed.
    Bob

17. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The great thing about flatheads is that they really dont need that much help from us to live on. Flatheads are not bass and as long there isnt a hardcore effort to take them down, those big boys will be just fine.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Big catfish will not bring money revenue to the state. Bass and trout fishing brings more money (liscence and trout stamp) than catfishing.

The PA Boat Fish Commission will allow bass, musky and of course trout stockings, but flatheads are out of the question.

Anyways, the bass fishing here in PA stinks anyways. Don't you guys remember the tourney held in Pittsburgh a few years back. I think Kevin Van Dam won with a 3 day total wieght of something like 14 lbs of bass. I actually stayed home that sunday to watch the final day. All the keepers were barely 14 inches.

19. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Since the flathead has become a target I have been telling all who will listen to (catch photo release) these great fish, I would like to think I have made some impact on the younger anglers belief in this practice.

20. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Here they are boys[​IMG]