PA catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by mikelap, Jul 11, 2008.

1. mikelap

mikelap New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I want to know what the best bait is to use when our rivers are muddy,and if you know,where do most catfish go when its muddy? I just want a couple of opinions,thanks

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I still prefer cut or live bait. Catfish find their food by smell

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Mike - Welcome to the B.O.C.! :0a25: :006:

4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i'd go with chicken liver or any home made type of bait that stinks

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the BOC Mike When the waters high and muddy try and find and eddy or some slack water and cast to the edge of it. They'll be waiting.

6. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    Welcome to the BOC Mike.:big_smile: Theres a lot of info on this site if you take the time to find it. As far as your question about bait goes, you shouldn't change nothing just because the river is low, fast, muddy or whatever. What you might have to do is change your tactics a little, but keep the bait the same.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC Mike!!!:big_smile:.....Great to see you made it here, You'll love it here!!!:wink::cool2:

8. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    IMHO I usually use the same kind of bait but I use a slightly larger gill or whatever your using. Obviously you need to use a heavier weight too if the water is flowing heavy as it usually is when the water is off color. Also I like to keep the bait pinned closer to the bottom. It seems logical to me that the kats would be laying lower when the water in the whole river is flowing heavy. I typically head to the mouth of a creek too, it provides somewhat of a break from the current and they can still feast on the baitfish that are washed down the creek. Just my 2 cents

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25:

10. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Welcome to the BOC Mike....Guess it depends on what type of catfish your after? Chicken liver always did well for me for Channels and bullheads regardless of water conditions. Don't have any experience with anything but blue gills or perch for flatheads.