PA BOC Gathering---Back to the drawing board?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by alpal16, Feb 5, 2009.

1. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Hey Everybody.

Well, besides me screwing up the closing date on the poll, I have gotten several PM's about the location and dates for the proposed Raystown Lake gathering. We only got 4 confirmed as going (with me as one of them) and the remaining 14 or so were maybes.

It seems like several people do not want Raystown Lake as a site and it seems like the dates are conflicting with people's schedules. Several people want to be able to fish for flatheads at this gathering, so it seems like we need to have either a Westside or Eastside location. The problem with the Eastside down around Philly would be lodging would be tough.

So, if you are near some good flathead waters and there are some good locations for camping (maybe up to 20 people) please let us know in this thread. Also, the dates for this gathering would be proposed to be moved to sometime from late June to early September.

I know there will be some problems with this for some people, but I am trying to please as many people as possible. Please---respond to this thread and let us know what you think--and PM me with any ideas, thoughts, or concerns.

Thanks very much and let's hear what you have to say.

2. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Its not a big deal where we have it to me. Just the date I have a pretty busy summer tourney schedule this year.

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Well let me say that on the time- no matter when or where, I am a determined 'Maybe'

I'D LOVE to meet you all, but with two kids, a non-fishing wife, most REALISTIC plans would leave my wife home with the kids for an extensive amount of time on a saturday.

even distant fishing; Erie and elsewhere are done at night or a strictly time-limited fashion.

With all that being said, selfishly I must say that If an event were done in western PA (ie The alleghany, mon or ohio rives) that includes friday night for flatheads, It is more likely I would attend. I have last year Already made two trips south; I could prolly stretch a little further and have the pleasure of meeting many of you.

but there's something NOT right, with me, a determined MAYBE (and a for sure one night visitor) altering anybodies gathering plans, when others will drive much, much further and have to commit to whole days to do so.

==========================================

it strikes me, that perhaps instead a gathering at the skuke is the MOST senseable as it for sure seems to be the best flathead trophy spot in the state.

which brings me to my big question?

DO THE EAST SIDERS even Want a GAthering at prized hotspots. NOW tan has publically stated, he had No problem BURNING spots for a west-sider. but now it WOULDN't only be WEST-siders at a gathering.

We have already had a contentious and sad case of spot Burning in 08. I don't blame any flattie trophy fishermen for keeping his spot, unpressured. Tan is in the right to invite a west sider to the skuke. IF we come, it may be a ONCE-in a LIFE opportunity. if the local eastsider gets wind of it; the spot may turn public. He (Our lurker EAST-SIDER) may refuse to stay away, or tell other local fishermen. He might be DIRT on-line but if he left in a puff he wouldn't care much that he robbed ken or tan out of a carefully researched honey-hole.

that is the consequence of allowing a gathering on a honeyhole spot.

===================================================

So I'm curious Tan,ken, and others... would you wish that any gathering for flats in the summer be out of the EAST for this very fact?

cuz' otherwise, the east seems the most appealing location for those that would also value the fishing.

if we're fishing in a good place we need to be very careful NOT to ruin some brothers honey-hole!

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    If you guys want to be able to fish for Flats, summers not the best time to do so. I wouldn't mind taking a few people to one or two of my spots. It prob. wouldn't be my honey hole but it would be a spot that produced nice fish in the past for me. I don't know of many places to park for that many people except where Alex and I met up one night. I have caught Flats and channels there and there is spots to fish for everyone. I just don't know if it would produce in the summer.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Maybe a Eastside Get-Together would be more feasible. The Westerners could hold their own Get-Together. Each Get-Together is held at different weekend, month, or season and whoever can make both, makes both! If The Westside Get-Together is during my summer months off, I would have no reason not to drive out there and jump on the Cattracker1:smile2:. Everyone has different lives and schedules.

We should try this out first and if both goes well, then we can step-it-up and plan 1 big Get-Together.

My 2 cents.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I posted earlier on how difficult putting together one of these gatherings can be and I think its showing. Realistically speaking you can't hold it on the Skuke cause lets face it not many from the west are going to travel that far and the same can be said for east siders traveling to the 3 rivers. Raystown probably wasn't a bad choice for middle ground but for me it would be better if the dates were in July-Sept zone. My oldest graduates college end of May and 3rd oldest graduates high school early June so I have 2 graduation parties to throw plus a neice and nephew that are graduating high school which means 2 more parties. We are working together as a family to settle on dates but most likely the parties will be on weekends in June to early July so I can't commit to anything till mid July. It may come down to a east gathering and a west gathering. I'm hoping to perhaps travel to fish with the east guys at some point but that is going to be determined at a later time.

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I second that opinion. If the west is to meet anywhere near the cattracker it would then be in driving range for me.:cool2: I'll still hold to my maybe, but I think I could prolly be there!

Now we just have to make it summer, but avoid the spawn. When does spawn start and if that is still in the school year, when does spawn end?...

Let me also say that I have fished with two BOC brothers and enjoyed it alot! I think one could meet quite a few brothers with some determination even without a gathering.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    July would be the worst month to have a gathering. The catfish are spawning and it's hot as hell. May and August for good months.

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    that might be doable for me by then ,I should be all moved and settled.If we have an east I can do it but I can't drive out to Pittsburgh I don't think my car will make it:smile2:

10. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i also like having an east and west gathering on different dates. i could def make a east side gathering and would def try for the west. i agree may would be a great time of the year to get out if u want some good action

11. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I like the sound of 2 seperate gatherings and 2 seperate dates. Obviously we cant choose dates based on each individual, but Im good for about any date except the weekends of July 11 & 12 (Wedding) and 18 & 19 (Honeymoon). Other than that, as long as I have enough time to plan it out at work, Im there. That a bad time to be cattin anyhow (almost as if I planned it that way:crazy::eek:oooh::wink::roll_eyes:)

12. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I really like the idea of 2 separate dates 1 for east 1 for west. And maybe it would be feasible for a couple of us to carpool I would drive out to either location but pitt is a little tough. I would go though if a couple of eastsiders would like to meet up and carpool with me or vis versa I am right dead center in the middle of PA I mean dead center. But I work in Jersey and I travel there every week so I am in.

13. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Hey Eastsiders.

Sounds like having two separate gatherings is gaining momentum....for all you eastsiders, why don't we get down to the where and when. I am not sure of the where, but it has been suggested that May and August would be good months to have a get-together. Why don't we vote on the where and when to get this thing moving along a bit more. All input is greatly appreciated.....

I think I can smell this thing happening:wink::cool2:

Thanks....