PA Blue Cats

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by smpatrick, Feb 3, 2008.

1. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    PA Fish Com. says thier here but not enough to think of them as a registerd fish of PA. Just want to hear how people fell about blues in PA?

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have been thinking about starting a thread on this subject! I have always wondered why the Ohio River is such a fantastic Blue Cat fishery but they don't seem to make their way up into the Pa. portion of the river? It seems from all the reports I have read that the Blues only make it up as far as the Cincinnati, Ohio area. I have a large collection of vintage Pa. Angler Magazines and one of the issues from the early 1960's had a paragraph about Blue Cats being stocked in the Yough River. So the Blues were indeed planted here just not sure why they havn't taken hold!? I will try to locate the exact issue that has the write up but I have hundreds of magazines to search through :eek:oooh:. I would love for these fish to take hold and grow big like they do in other states. The Blue Cats would make a great fish to pursue during the cold weather months on the 3 rivers of western Pa.! :cool2:

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    That would be great to have a blue cat fishery.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Scott, can you imagine if blues were in the rivers in PA? Imagine hunting for flats all spring summer and fall and then hitting the blues in the winter? I would gave to fish for walleyes and stripers no more!

5. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    With the zebra mullusk pop. and the white bass abundance...no reason these Blue Cats wouldnt be able to take hold in our rivers.

6. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    I have a neighbor who hunt's across my ground with the mussle loader say's he has a 2 - 3 acer pond that he put several blue cat's in a few year's back, he clame's there now about 12 15 lb's, he like to catch them on a UL outfit. He said he feed's (I dont what), but I can come over anytime next year and give it a shot. Im thinkin fly rod:crazy: Maybe when the ice go's off I'll look into it.:wink:

7. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    has anyone ever caught a blue cat in the allegheny? I caught a fish one time it didn't look like a channel and it wasn't a flat. it was 22" inches and I threw it back. When I got home I was looking and the closest thing I could come to was a blue cat. it had "shoulders"...........I was surprised, I am not saying they are there, but that one fish from two years ago, has me wondering.........

8. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    thats really something to think about..sources that i have do say that a population of blues do exist but are just to small...so its a good thing you let it go:smile2:!!

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    i grew up fishing the ohio river in beaver county...i know for a fact i caught a blue cat... I was like 13 at the time which would have been about 24 years ago...

it was one of our first times fishing that river and we caught the catfish...not one of us could identify it...

luckily, i was a boy scout and had a field manual on how to identify fish...well we counted the anal rays and sure enough blue cat....

but that was many many many moons ago!!!:wink:

10. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wish there were. There could be a few. Probably ablout 5 or 6 years ago there was supposed to be a couple of sportsman clubs stocking blues in the yough. river. Don't know if they ever did. I think the rivers now are more suitable for the blues than ever before. Also, if stray trout from montour creek can live in the river for a few years (people have caught them right were i fish, usually above 20 inches, I have seen it) then there is no reason why blues can not.

11. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I sure wish we had them on the Eastside of the state. :sad2:

12. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Before I moved to NC...i fished the Ohio river in PA. almost every day...

when i started fishing the Ohio River it was strictly carp and cats...then as more and more steel mills started closing we started catching different species...it started slowly...first the panfish...then the bass,walleye and sauger and then followed up by the monsters..musky and pike..

we also have caught trout but I think they just found their way to the river from the stocked lakes up stream....

the Ohio river has come along way in the past 20 plus years...if it can support fish as sensitive as trout it should be able to support blues...

13. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Does anyone know who this Outdoor Club is that stocked the Yuke...those many moons ago. Maybe they can do it again?

14. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    If I`m not mistaken they are still put in the yough in the smithton west newton area but I have never caught one.The yough flows into the mon so you would figure at some point one would be caught on either river.

15. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yes this is what I have heard of lately. I also heard the same people have stocked steelhead in that area also. I here alot of people say they have caught Blues before but sometimes I think they have just misidentify the channels.. I wish they were in the rivers too.

16. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    If anyone catches what they think might be a blue please post a pic.

17. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Dont forget local..!

18. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Your best chance of catching a blue cat would probably be in the the lower portions of the Allegheny and Mon rivers and of course the Ohio.I`m going to try to fish the ohio more this year, several guys I work with fish the ohio and report big cat catches pretty often.