Pa Archery Deer Season!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Anybody been out doing any archery deer hunting? I finally got out this afternoon for only the second time and had the good fortune to harvest a nice doe! :big_smile: I'm real happy as the freezer needed restocked and the kids are already chompin' at the bit waiting for the jerky! :roll_eyes: A pic attached!

Attached Files:

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I will be chasin' the antlers only from this point out as I only had one doe tag! I saw some fresh scrapes and new rubs in my hunting spot so I'm excited to get back out there and try to get a buck! :cool2:

3. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    Nice doe scott. Hope you get a nice buck to later in the season. I wish i could go archery but i had sold my bow a few years ago cause i got into a hole and needed some cash. :sad2: And i havent had a chance to go out hunting in a long time rifle nor bow. Do to never being able to get off of work. But hopefully next year ill be getting a chance to go back at it. I sure to miss that adrenaline rush.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice one, i'm outta reps, but reps to ya anyway.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Congrats on the harvest.

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    way to put some meat in the freezer Scott, congrats. the rut should be starting to kick in here shortly. good luck and i hope you get a big old buck.

7. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    Good job Scott! Nice lookin doe! Hope ya score on a big buck too!

8. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Nice slickhead Scott.

Ive been seeing a good amount of deer on the move in the last 3 days, even with the weather the way its been. Had an 8 pt right at my mock scrape rubbin his antlers in the dirt and peein all over the place last night. I prolly would have taken him but the buck Im after was out in the cut corn and I couldnt shoot a smaller one with him in sight. I left 45 minutes after I couldnt see into the field anymore and he was still there.

9. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    That bites justin. But hey he might come back for you since you had the courtesy to wait it out. I can remember passing up a few and my cousin thought i was crazy and then a huge one had come out. And some how i spooked him and my cousin ended up getting him.:crazy: But the same buck the night before came threw just an hour before that monster came threw.

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Way to be persistent Justin! :cool2: Hold out for that one you really want! That shows the sign of someone thats hunted enough to want to score a nice one! :wink: I on the other hand will have limited time to hunt and will take any legal buck that comes my way! Good luck Justin, I hope you get the big boy! Please post pics if you do!

11. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    The bucks are really startin to get ramped up now. Its only going to be a couple days now till all hell breaks out in the woods. I went out yesterday and hung my climber at my evening stand site at around noon. Got back into the stand around 3 pm for the evening. At about 330 the wind changed on me to the worst possible direction so I slid down the tree ASAP. I hunted the only stand (chain on) on the farm that I had for that wind. I was pretty bummed because its not that great a stand and the only reason I have it is because I need a stand for that wind on the farm in case this exact scenario happens. Anyway, I ditched my climber and headed for the stand. This stand is in a holding area about 50 yards off the field edge, cross wind to a small buffer field thats overgrown with red and green briar and golden rod. I was trying to decide when I was getting to the stand if I wanted to start a mock scrape or not. I got to the spot where I was going to put a little mock scrape (just to hold them for a second for a shot). As Im standing there kickin the leaves away and diggin for the scrape starter I hear this hellacious racket in the woods. I thought that I busted some deer and they were makin their getaway. Im standin at the scrape, which is in the 50 yards of open woods, tryin to see what is spookin, when I see em runnin AT me, not AWAY. Here, the buck Im after is chasin the buck I passed up! They went runnin down the trail and luckily when they hit the "Y" in the trail just past my stand, they took the other trail. They had run about 50 yards in all when they stopped on the trail. I was just thinking "stay still and they wont pick you out in the open", then I realized they were directly downwind. Thankfully, Im pretty obsessed with scent control because there was about a 10-15 mph wind blowin right at from ground level. They postured up again for about a minute, then ran right back into the thicket. I hurried into the stand and it was a great rest of the night. Saw 2 sets of bucks lock up and the buck I passed on postured up to another basket rack buck right about dark. I never saw the big boy again but I will. Rattling should work great this weekend.

12. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I guess that stand isnt quite as crappy as I thought it was:embarassed:. Its 2 hollows over from the core area of the good buck, so Im guessing he had to be out tryin to clear as many bucks out of the area as possible. This buck is as smart as they come, and I couldnt believe he was in the field in the daylight the other day. We believe that he is the same buck that my buddy put a bad shot on last year. Near as I can tell he hit it in the brisket, but Im not sure. It was his 2nd year archery hunting and he had yet to stick a deer with a bow. I set him up for a slam dunk doe and he sticks a big buck that we cant find.:confused2: Noone ever saw the buck again, but this buck here has similar antler traits, not sure if its the same one or maybe a brother.

13. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    nice deer. I made 15 lbs of jerky with my first one and it was all gone in two days:sad2:.

14. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Justin if you use the snort7wheeze call along with rattling that buck is yours. if he is chasing those other bucks then this is a great tactic to use on him. good luck.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Hopefully Kenlaw takes me hunting this year.

16. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am to busy fishing now :cool2:. I will get laied off soon and then I will get some deer.

17. unclesam0000

unclesam0000 Guest

Jay (Dave008:cool: put me on this 8 point.Guess I'll have to catch the bait for fishing.

Attached Files:

18. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Good job! That looks like a healthy buck. Congrats.

19. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I don't know much about huntin but that there looks like a nice deer:wink:

20. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    Nice Buck! If you do as good with the bait & fishin as you did bow hunting you will be a lucky guy!