P1404 Error code

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by soccer guy, May 31, 2006.

1. soccer guy

soccer guy New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have 1999 Grand Am 3.4L. Just replaced lower manifold gasket and all OK. After running engine had 1404 error (EGR pintle closed). Checked original EGR pintle operation & resistance across terminals, both checked OK. Re-installed EGR and error code returned. Installed new EGR valve, error stayed off for approx 2 days but has returned.
    Any suggestions for repair?

2. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The golden rule in the automotive industry is "Last thing worked on, first thing checked." If the code wasn't present prior to your repair I'd double check your work. The diagnostic procedure is included below. Hope you find it helpful.

Curt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Circuit Description
    The PCM monitors the EGR valve pintle position input to ensure that the valve responds properly to commands from the PCM. When the ignition switch is turned ON, the PCM learns the EGR closed valve pintle position. The PCM compares the learned EGR closed valve pintle position to the Actual EGR position when the EGR valve is commanded closed. If the Actual EGR position indicates that the EGR valve is still open when the PCM is commanding the EGR valve closed, DTC P1404 will set.

Conditions for Running the DTC

Conditions for Setting the DTC

• EGR Feedback is 0.2 volt greater than the EGR Closed Valve Pintle Position when the Desired EGR Position is commanded to 0 percent
    • The above condition is present for longer than 20 seconds.
    Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The PCM will illuminate the MIL during the first trip in which the diagnostic test has been run and failed.
    • The PCM will store conditions which were present when the DTC set as Freeze Frame and Fail Records data.
    Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

• The PCM will turn the MIL OFF during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic has been run and passed.
    • The history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.
    • The DTC can be cleared by using the scan tool Clear Info function or by disconnecting the PCM battery feed.
    Diagnostic Aids
    Check for the following condition(s):

• Excessive deposits on the EGR valve pintle or seat - Remove the EGR valve and check for deposits that may interfere with the EGR valve pintle extending completely or cause the pintle to stick.
    • Poor connections at PCM or EGR valve - Inspect harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and poor terminal to wire connection.
    • Damaged harness - Inspect the wiring harness for damage. If the wiring appears to be OK, connect J 39200 DMM and check circuit continuity while moving connectors and wiring harnesses related to the EGR valve. A change in the DMM display will indicate the location of the malfunction.
    Test Description
    Number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the Diagnostic Table:

1. Verifies that the malfunction is present.
    1. If DTC P1404 will only set under certain conditions, the malfunction may be intermittent; refer to Diagnostic Aids in DTC P1404. If an intermittent wiring problem is not present, check for a poor connection at the PCM or the EGR valve. If the connections are OK and DTC P1404 continues to set, replace the EGR valve.
    1. This vehicle is equipped with a PCM which utilizes an Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM). When the PCM is being replaced, the new PCM must be programmed.

3. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you're unable to access the links, let me know. It's a service my employer subscribes to. You can send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send them there. Any driveability issues or is it running normal? What initiated the intake repair?

4. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Soccer Guy,

First, you need to make sure the passageway from the EGR valve to the intake is cleared. It dumps out just behind the throttle body, they are bad for clogging with carbon. If it is blocked you can take a coathanger and cut about a foot off of it, make a slight bend in it, put the other end in a drill and run it through there. The bend will allow the end off it to scrape the sides of the opening. Clear as much of the debris out of the plenum as you can when you finish.

Second, there is a software calibration update available for the PCM (computer) to correct a false setting P1404. This may be your problem. I'm not sure why it happened after the repair unless it was just coincedence.

You may also want to make sure during unplugging the valve, you didn't break a wire in the connector, give the wires a small tug and see if any of them are broken. I think you already said you made sure the pintle moves freely right? Try the blockage deal, if that's not it, you will need to take it to the dealer for the updated software. I don't think the independent shops have access to what we have as far as calibrations.

5. soccer guy

soccer guy New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Problem has been solved, thanks for all the info, unfortunately I made a very basic mistake, I double checked the EGR valve and had installed the EGR valve 180 deg incorrectly. I re-installed the valve & run car through 4 run cycles & code has reset & cleared.
    The intial lower manifold work which started all this hassle was due to the factory installed RTV sealant that seals the horizontal section of the lower manifold to the block had blown out after 123k miles. Some research on internet sugested this is quite a common problem for the 3.1/3.4 L engines.
    I did have one problem during reassembly that I would like to share. The upper intake manifold on the 3.4L engine only has bolts on the outside of the manifold casting, after tighteneing the bolts as recommended, the upper manifold gasket leaked. I removed the manifold & inspection of the gasket showed compression to the sealing area only close to the bolts. I reapplied permatex to the gasket & reinstalled the manifold with no leaks.
    Car is running good for 123K miles.

6. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Soccerguy, glad to see you got it fixed. I have seen that happen once before. Was yours leaking oil or coolant? If it was coolant, it wasn't the RTV, it was the gaskets. RTV doesn't seal in any coolant, only oil. You were lucky to get that many miles out of it. I am a GM technician and replace an average of one set of these a week for coolant leakage. With a few short cuts discovered and tricks of the trade, if I really hustle, I can do one in about 2 1/2 hours. The gaskets have been redesigned and there are new bolts for the lower intake. If you used aftermarket gasket and old bolts, you will probably wind up doing it again later. As far as the upper gasket problem, I've never seen what you said happen. I'm not saying it didn't, just I haven't run into that. I have seen cases where the installer damaged the gasket sliding the upper plenum around to line up the holes. GM is aware of the problems with these gaskets and may eventually issue a recall for customer satisfaction. Usually though, they only cover to 100k miles.