P V C pontoon boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by tomcat85, Dec 28, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i was looking at pontoon boats today and there is no way i can afford one and i was also looking at the kits and i cant afford one of those either. i was wondering if anyone had ever heard anyone building one out of pvc pipe? would this work? any info would be great thanks!

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    How big a pontoon boat?
    How much can you afford?

I might can put you on to something is why I ask.

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Im not really sure how much i can afford yet but i want it to be a 10-12 footer and thats all i know so far i just started thinking about it tonite. thanks.

4. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    well this is a possiblity

Attached Files:

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    lol yeah thatd be cheap haha.

6. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    I've also been looking for an inexpensive boat, but diddn't think of this! I think you have come up with a great idea. As long as you used a good pvc glue, and maby did a small scale test to get the size of the pontoons right it would work fine. Not sure where you could get pvc big enough, but im sure someone somewhere sells it. Good Luck!

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    haha thanks ive been researching it on the computer i was thinking you know getting the pvc and then building a deck with rails and all that i just cant seem to figure how much it will cost and how to do it yet lol.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You have any little communities with lakes? Go there and look for a run down boat. You might have to tear out the floor and install new but it's pretty easy.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    you can buy foam floatation blocks. The lawn chair on the box pontoons may look silly, but it works. Floatation blocks would help, though.

10. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I think the cost of building it might be just a little less than buying a run down boat and fixing it. In the pass I have found nice fiberglass boats for free that just needed a floor replaced. It cost very little to throw some plywood in it and it was up and running as soon as I found a motor. but I ended up giving it to guy for the money I put in it. Just make sure the transom is solid tried replacing one of those one time and it was a disaster. You can also buy used jon boats for $20-$150 and for brand new $400. You also have to think if you biuld one you have to keep in the coast guard standards. hope this helps.
    stephen

11. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Most of the time you can go around to some of the old boat places and they have free boats to give away .. Some are in bad shape as far as needing the floor replaced but all you have to do is haul it away. Check it out. You can also go into ebay and look in boats or boat parts and find free boats to. Good Luck

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    drive around some semi rural areas. i found a decent, small pontoon about 10 miles from my house out in country that they are selling pretty cheap. It will take some engine work to get it running again but it is cheaper than building one or buying new one.

13. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thanks guys i think im definately going to go the way of finding a cheap used beat up jon boat or something. thanks again for the tips everyone!