P.V.C. for bank poles

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathead81, Jun 13, 2006.

1. flathead81

flathead81 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I fish the little wabash and weve been using cane and do good but we want big fish . so we made up some 3/4 inch pvc pipes as bank poles and I was just wondering if any of you guys on here ever used the pvc thanks. by the way on the pvc we have 9 ot hooks and werre goona use bullheads

2. Repete

Repete New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I tried using PVC 6 years ago. I've never looked back, now I have 35 PVC poles. I don't believe there is anything better. If someone has a better suggestion I'm willing to listen.

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    If you are ever looking for cheap PVC pipe I recomend construction sites. Especially ones where sprinklers need to be installed. If you talk nicely they give you all you would ever need for bank poles, pole holders, putting sprinklers in your own home...

Just a heads up for us folk on the bottom of the barrel

4. badcat

badcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    what is pvc bank poles?

5. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Have used them in the surf down at Padre Island as well. They work very well.

6. flathead81

flathead81 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats good to hear i thought they would do the trick but was gonna see what everyone had to say thanks for the replys

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    We use em out here too. cheap and efficient...

8. 19FarmBoy78

19FarmBoy78 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We use 1/2" PVC pipe for our bank poles.
    Dad wanted to try 5/16" steel rod this year so it would be easier to push in the bank. I wasn't to hip on the idea, but he was insistent on trying it. In my book it failed miserably! Yes it was very east to pushing into the bank, but even small channel cats bent the heck outta them, don't want to se what a 15+ lbs Flathead in a bad mood would do to them.

I will say PVC is a pain to push in the bank most of the time, but still the best to use. I grew up with Willow stick for bank poles, and sometimes I still like them better, just a hassle to get them.

Right now I have 5' poles, with a hole drilled through the pipe about 4" from one end.

I need to cut a 45 deg bevel in the bank end to make it a lil easier to push in. I'm also thinking of gluing a T on the line end to have a lil more to push against. I've heard of people putting re-rod in the bank end, for strength and to ease pushing it in the bank... anyone do this? I might also try some spray can graphite paint. It’s used on farm implements (disk blades) so dirt doesn't stick to it. I’m also switching to 6’ poles, to get a bit further away from the bank.
    19FarmBoy78
    Nathan

9. flathead81

flathead81 New Member

State:
    illinois
    on ours we cut a angle on the bank end and Im pretty sure ours a are 10ft long. were just experimenting with a few to see how they do that was what we were wondering though on how hard they were going to be to stick in the bank hope the angle on the end works