Ozark lock and dam question

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by reel_mccoy, Aug 17, 2009.

1. reel_mccoy

reel_mccoy New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Guys I just found this place a few days ago and have spent a ton of time reading. The answer to my question is probably here already but just have not found it. First of all I live in Fayetteville and fish white river up here but the lake has been backed up into the river and fishing has not been good. Saturday I took my three boys down to Ozark. I hadnt been down there since I was a kid but we always had a blast then. There is nothing like a road trip to go fishing. I didnt take a boat because my little jon boat would scare me out there. We fished on the generator side (they were generating) and only caught three fish in 7 hours. (one small blue, one buffalo, one gar). We were using shad about 500 yards below the dam but just didnt get much action. Does anyone have any thoughts? Also is there a way to know when they are generating?

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    First let me welcome you to the B.O.C. I have not fished that area but I am sure there is a number out there that you can call, I just do not know it.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    yes there is 229-2282 tells ozark & dardnelle generation info listen to the whole recording..in the august heat if i was bank fishing i would fish the generators right by the dam use cut bait a 3,4 or 5oz sinker throw out right in front of the dam let it free-spool till it hits bottom tighten my line hold it & let it bounce along the bottom until it goes off the concrete bottom reel it in keep doing this with different lengths of casts till ya find them:wink:

:0a25: TO the Hood!!!:big_smile:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Craig Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

5. reel_mccoy

reel_mccoy New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the info. Big Sam, and thanks for the welcomes. With three young boys I hate to get up there in that swift water. We went up there and looked around but I decided if one of them fell in it would be bad. Heck it would be tough on a good swimmer. I guess I could do like my dad did with me and put a life vest on em and a rope with just enough slack to keep them from falling in. It doesnt matter too much the kids had a great time and getting to se a barge up close made the trip for them. Like I said its more about the trip right now!

6. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I also live in Fayetteville and know all about Beaver........avoid it when you can.
    I fish that stretch of river from Clarksville, Ozark to Barling.
    Like Sam said, vary sinker sizes. My PB Blue of 21 pounds came from there. You might want to vary the distances you throw out and how you cut your shad. I fished it from a boat 2 weekends ago. We caught fish, both blues and channels, but it took 4 hours to figure out they wanted the shad filleted and not cut in chunks. Just mess around with different ways of everything and you will get into them.
    Call that number too to find out about the generations. Also, look at "Arkansas River flow report" and you can see all the different locks the corps has and their elevations and predicted discharges.
    Good luck

7. reel_mccoy

reel_mccoy New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the advice ccat. Kinda hard to fillet them 2" shad I been netting:big_smile:. I am also looking to get one of those loooong casting rods too. Right now I have a 10' and a 7' rod but max out at about 60 yards. But heck look at my profile pic and see what my son caught on a stick and some old line he found down there in the riprap.

8. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    hey, don't worry about those 2 inch shad. Just put them on whole. I use them a lot that small. If that is all a person can catch, then that is all we can throw at them. You might hook them just above the eye and then again around close towards the tail and leave it up on the shank.
    Also, with smaller shad, hook them whole, but put a cut/slit in the gut to let the scent out. I do that to mine all the time when fishing them whole.
    good luck

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Craig, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:.

10. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Looks like You have some good information already! But, do let me welcome you to the BOC! There are some good folks here and maybe I will get up that way and we can hook into some good ones!

11. reel_mccoy

reel_mccoy New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I havent gotten the chance to go back but was thinking about going this weekend. Has anyone been fishing down there lately? Just wondering if all the rain down there has hurt things.

12. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I would be down on the river this weekend, but I am going to be on Kerr.
    If I don't stop fishing the river, Big Sam will think my address is Spadra park in Clarksville.
    All this rain has brought the current back into the river.
    As of now, (Thursday 9-17) the forecast for the river at Ozark is for 50,000cfs on Friday and 47,000cfs for Saturday and Sunday. That will change, probably to the higher side with all this rain still falling. Around 70,000, the corps issues a small craft advisory for the river. I have fished that stretch at around 168,000cfs and it wasn't that difficult.....BUT I was a ways down from the dam. I was in the Clarksville and Knoxville area. Just be careful if you venture out if you have never been on the river with it rising.
    Good luck

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    You geting some good infro from the guys Welcome to the BOC:0a25:

14. reel_mccoy

reel_mccoy New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I will be fishing from the bank so the high water should not be a problem. I found a 15' rod at a pawn shop and NEED to try it out!

15. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC RM, you are in pretty good hands with the bunch you are talking to they know what there talking about. Good luck fishing this weekend I will be below you @ LD#5 so let a few go bye so I can catch them PLEASE LOL.:smile2::wink::cool2:

16. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    Welcome to the BOC Craig.

17. reel_mccoy

reel_mccoy New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well, we went to Ozark last friday as a last trip of the year. We had a lot of fun but only 4 fish in 8 hours. I dont know how to fish water that is moving that fast! I was awed by the amount of water coming down that river. The boys and I enjoyed a great father-son day and caught enough fish for supper. Now its on to deer and Pheasants til the end of January! Good luck on the catfishing and look for me to post later with a few dumb questions about where to fish in the dead of winter. I have never tried it but if you can do it from the bank I want to give it a try.

18. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    craig,
    maybe i'll see you down there at Ozark sometime and will take you and your boys out. Winter fishing is the best........for big fish. Stick close to the BOC during hunting season.
    I am fishing the river this weekend and will be either on the river or Kerr all winter until about............forever. I will hit Grand lake in Oklahoma a few times, but the river and Kerr will be it for me.

19. reel_mccoy

reel_mccoy New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks ccat. Bow hunting has always been my first love so I like to hit the woods until after Nov. then we try to make a few bird hunting trips to Kansas in Dec and Jan. The U of A is closed over Christmas and I usually get bored being off work that long so that will probably be my next fishing trip.
    The videos I have seen on winter catfishing just blew my mind. I can already tell I need to upgrade the jon boat so I can get out there and fish for the big boys but that is not in the cards yet. After what I have seen my little 14 footer dont need to be out there! Is there good bank fishing on Kerr it seems a little closer?

20. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Craig,
    That 14 footer is a bit small for the river with lots of current, but you could actually set up with anchors on a big lake like Grand if there is not much wind. With anchors and coolers, you might be crowded, but you could do it.
    I am a teacher and have time off at Christmas or more after new years. Maybe we can hook up.