Oxygenerator? Has anyone tried one of these?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catter, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Oxygenerator

Just wondering if it really works as well as they say. Seems like a great system for livewells/baitwells. I've looked all over the web for more info but could'nt really find any first hand reports that were'nt like advertisements.

Joe

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Never used one but looks like it would be a good deal. Have to check on the cost some times that out weighs the good.

3. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    The larger model runs around 100 bucks, but it only draws about 90miliamps or something. I'd like to get one to run in a cooler but i'd hate to waste my money. lol

Joe

4. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have the big one. I found it on E-bay for $30 w/ shipping and was unopened. That was as heck of a deal.

I have a 5 gallon cooler I use for minnows so I used it in there overnight. The next morning the minnows were dead with foam all over the top. So I put it in my live well about 10 gal. the next night with 15 crappie in it and they were fine the next morning.

I would like to know what I did wrong or if I just overdosed the minnows.

The instructions with it didn't say much other than it treats 32 gal. of water in 8 minutes.

5. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry I hit post twice.

6. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Catter. John at catfish connection gave me one to try two years ago. I field tested it for him. It is the big one.
    First I used it to help keep bluegills alive in a bucket while on my way to fish for flatheads. Hour drive to where I fished. There were 30 gills in the 5 gallon bucket. They were very lively and ready to go after a big flatie for me. I Then used it in a rubbermaid tank 10 gallon on my boat with channel cats. ended up with 7 of them. It worked fine but the water rally needed changed to keep them lively IMHO. Used it for bluegills in same tank ended up with around 60 . Worked really good, but still need to change water once in awhile.
    My final opinion works great for transporting fish whne you dont have a circulator, but would rahter have a livewell pump that changes the water regularly. I would spend my money on a good livewell pump. If you have one already and just want to add extra O2 I way that it will help. If you want to use it for a bait tank it would be great. JMHO

7. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Ive had ,3 of them, two small ones, kept minnows alive, crappie fishing but switch, drew moister. and went ouy on both. one was only 3 months, old , called them got the run a rounds about switch should go out,. didnt say, send it back and well fix it.
    I went ahead and set them back over two years ago. still havent, heard from them. They sure wont stand behind their, product.
    With them water will have to be changed as sugested. and dont fish in the rain or get the switch wet.
    hope this helps.

8. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Thanks for the info guys, I believe i'll go with a circulating pump then. I'll just have to figure out the plumbing part but it should be really easy. I'm sure glad you guys are around, thanks again.

Joe

9. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have the bigger one and can tell you that it works real well. The only thing that makes me worry is that it doesn't have a light or make a sound so no way to tell if/when it ever craps out.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've got the smaller one that runs on 4 aa batteries. It does pretty good, but like Dave said, it's hard to tell when the batteries get low. It's completely silent, and the bubbles are so fine that they are hard to see, even with fresh batteries. The O2 output drops as the batteries weaken, and it's awfully hard to tell when they need replacing. I came to the conclusion that a regular battery powered aereator running off of a D cell battery did a better job of keeping a bucket of bluegill alive, was cheaper to purchase and cheaper to run, and you could tell when the battery needed to be changed.

The total silence of the oxygenator was nice, though, and I still use it from time to time.

11. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I bought one from Wal-Mart made with a five gallon bucket about ten years ago. Used a couple of D cell batteries to operate with an on-off water proof button. The unit was easily removable from the bucket so thats what we did. We put it in a cooler. We keep 6-7doz. minnows, chubs, crawdads(crayfish), bluegills, shad over the weekend with good results. There is no doubt when the critter is running out of battery power, its loud. We throw a few handfulls of ice in before adding any of the bait, seems to make them a little more spunky too. I think it cost around $25-30 bucks back then. We also went to the local pharmacy and bought longer oxygen tubing to get to the middle of the cooler?
    Still using mine,
    Don