Oxygen fed bait tanks

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Cuda-Cada, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Anyone own one of these? I am looking into getting one of these to help keep my bait frisky. I use a re-circulating spray now and it works well but it could be better. The cost is high- (over 300 dollars) but it might be worth it to help during the summer or when I have a lot of bait in the baitwell.

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My buddy bought one of the insulated KeepAlive 30 gallon tanks last year and it has been worth every penny! He got it primarily for keeping shad which it does an excellent job at, but keeping gills in it is a breeze. I was kind of skeptical of it at first being that much money but it sure is nice. I was actually getting ready to buy just the KeepAlive aerator and retrofit my livewell because of how well I like his. Good investment in my opinion.:thumbsup:

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I also have a 30 gal keepalive baitwell, works great.

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I just made a 35 gal round Shad Tank with the 700 gph "KeepAlive" pump in it. The KeepAlive pump pumps water & air under the water for those that may not know. I haven't used it yet and it is only for the back of my pick me up truck. Total apppox. cost: $140 for the pump, filter and deep cycle battery installed in the truck. $00.00 for the cut down plactic 55 gal drum and $10 for the hardware for the lid and electrical connections. = $150.00

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I added an Aqua Innovation system to my onboard baitwell and it has dramatically improved my carrying capacity.I have a 35 gal baitwell and had a Frabill Power Bubble aireator in it.The AI system costs 99$ from Cabelas,The main thing with bait is temperature.Keep the water at 70 deg or less and you will have much more success.I use diffuser stones I buy from Aquarium places as they have a much finer size bubble that is more readily absorbed by the water.I know most of the pumps put out lots of satifying bubbles into the water but the abilty to absorb them is directly related to size,oxygen content,and temperature.Often most of those big air bubbles are not helping at all.I also use Shad Saver or a little rock salt in the water which keeps the foam down and promotes slime coat.I have read that using to big a pump that puts out strong current is not good for the bait like shad and Herring because they tire out and die.If you use one of those pumps deflect the output into the tank wall.Frequent water changes also help but be careful going to temperature extremes as this will kill the bait quickly.Gills ,perch etc are much easier to keep the shad or herring.:)PS I still have the Frabill in the tank so both systems seem to work very well.

6. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Baitkiller has the idea,and a hell of alot less expensive!

For shad especially,you want to circulate fresh water into the tank.Adding oxygen will help,for maybe another 20 minutes,but if ya want them to be lively you need to pump in fresh water and in turn ya get fresh oxygen levels from the pumped water.

I picked up a 55 gallon drum from the river,They're all along the river hewre,cleaned it out,cut off the top,and converted it to a biat tank.

All ya need is two hoses,marine sealant to plug up the hoses and a pump to draw the water in.I like pumping the water in at the top,but thats just a preference thing.I cut a hole about a fgoot from mthe top and added a pvc pipe to drain out the extra water at the level i wanted.Good idea to add a down spout at the end of the pipe/hose,unless ya enjoy taking a shower while your gunning to the next hole.

The bigger the pump the better,but also more expensive.
    500gph is good,750gph is better,1000gph is even better yet.

I use the 750gph and works well for keeping herring alive.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    silly question, can you get a simple oxygen tank, connect a regulator to it and set it for a very low rate, then connect a hose to it and a couple of air stones?

8. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

From what I have read it can be very dangerous to use an oxygen tank or regulator that were not specifically made for marine use.

Do a google and you will find the info you need.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    One thing to remember about oxygen is there are different grades ie Medicinal,industrial and not all of them are ideal for bait applications and nothing should be jury rigged and everything must be designed for that system.TD no reason you cant have stones as the final output if everything else is copacetic!;) :rolleyes: :)