Owning Multiple Pitbulls

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RiverKing, May 11, 2008.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Anyone on the boards own 2 or more pitbulls?? Just curious, I have a male now that is about 6, and I was thinking about getting a pup..Just wanted to see if anyone has experience in owning more than 1 at once.

2. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    it shouldnt be any different than owning more than one of a different breed.. a dog isnt inheritantly mean its the owner who makes it that way. you should be fine

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

True I agree 100%...My fear is that my older dog will be so jealous that he cant see straight..He has been the only dog for 6 years, I just wouldnt want him to hurt the pup, although he is fine with my parents dog, but she is also a 70 pound full grown pitbull. He was also fine when my wife moved in and brought her cat..Him and the cat are pretty good buddies now.

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i have two and boy they love the kids they are house dogs but when someone comes over that they dont know oh boy watch out i put them in a kennel when i have company i think its because we dont let people pet my dogs they get that way they know we love them and i kind of like that boy hope nobady ever breaks in to my house

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Do they get along with each other though??? Do they fight, are they friends? Thats what im wanting to know.

6. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I have three and they get along just fine bro!! just watch the pups you are looking at a stay away from the aggressive one!!! And i say that just because some people will bread them to close!! BUT I LOVE MY PITTS!!! Just big lap dogs!!

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We have 2 right now. One is a female that is almost 3 years old. The other is a male that is 13. They get along fine, but they are both fixed now. The male has been fixed for a long time. Kasha is very well socialized, and will tolerate any new dog coming in the house. Heywood is old and grumpy. He tolerates other dogs, but gets annoyed with puppies. He grumps and grumbles at them.

In the past, I had 3, and they couldn't run together, or they would fight. My male and female were fine until the female got pregnant. She had her pups when I wasn't home, and after every pup she had, she would run out of her den, lay a butt whoopin' on the male, then retreat back into her den. She kinda chilled out after about 3 days, but remained very protective of "her" things, which included every toy and bone in the house. She would gather up her belongings into a pile, lay on them, and then just dare my male dog to try and get one of them, at which point she would put a whoopin' on him. It wasn't to fight to eliminate the enemy, but to continually assert dominance. Eventually, after her pup that I kept became nearly fully grown, I quarantined them all from each other for safety's sake. Didn't want any of them getting hurt when I wasn't home.

Is your male dog fixed? That won't guarantee he won't fight, but it will greatly reduce the odds. Is he continuously socialized with other dogs of all sizes and breeds? Ever seen any signs of animal aggression from your male? Are you getting a male or female pup? Will this new dog be spayed or neutered?

Chances are, your male dog will not harm your new pup. He will either avoid it, or buddy up to it. Any problems will likely begin to manifest themselves when the pup becomes sexually mature, and attempts to take a more dominant role in the house.

There is a saying that goes 'never trust a bulldog not to fight'. I trust mine not to fight, but I think that saying is the truth. I know alot of people who have multiple pitbulls that are kept together without any problems. It can be done, and it's not uncommon. It's alot more responsible and safe to keep dogs of the opposite sex that have been fixed together. You are right in having concerns.

It is a good safety precaution to crate train your new pup. Not only is it a great tool to use for potty training, but you can also crate your dog when you are not home. It's safe and humane. The crate will become your dog's den, and it will feel safe and secure in there. The dog will also utilize the crate while you are there as a cave to retreat to, and take a nap.

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kat in the Bonnet has it right on. I am gonna say the same thing only a little different.

Dogs of all breeds are hard wired genetically for the purpose they are intended to be used. Terriers for terrier work, herders for flocks, legged dogs, Afghans, Whippets, Greyhounds to chase, Bulls to drag something down by the face and stop it in its tracks, including you, your kids or another dog.

You can't wish the hard wiring out of any dog no matter how many times a day you pet them and make kissy face with them. One of the most deep grained and most prevalent characteristic of a dog is pack mentality. Look up anything on wolf society and you are looking at your dog and then what he was bred to do.

There are dogs called alpha dogs. In your household, no matter how many dogs or what kind you got you better damb well be the Alpha dog. Re-read Kat's post. Sex, neutering, age, the techniques you use to introduce your new dog are all most important. However the psychology is very important too and difficult to explain. If you are alpha the dog he will have to do what you want even if it doesn't want to out of fear and respect for you. It has it's place in your society. Any introduced dog to the pack will have to go through its initiation and you are responsible for that, out of respect for the dogs you have and the new dog.

Life isn't complicated, it is we who make it so when we don't understand the machinations of it. It ain't as simple as "Ma, gotta get a new dog cause I want one"

Turkey One Finger.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    mine get along with each other just play rough some times

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Your male should give you half of your answer. Most male/ female house raised pits will get along. But there are certain dogs that will now tolerate another dog period.... I have had males that would not breed a female in heat, not often at all, but it happens. More than likely your dogs wont fall under that category.

I would say if you got a female the male would most likely be fine. In fact most pit bulls wont hurt a pup at all until it matures enough to show it's arse. I would only do this if they are being house raised, using kennels. Make sure the male has his kennel and the pup isn't allowed in or near it. That male will need a safe place to get away for a gnawing little puppy.

You will had to make the choice by examining your males disposition and the parents of the female pup.

The other posts here also give good advice already so no need for me to go there.

Oh and as far as fixing the dogs I only fix the female and have no problems. A male wont go crazy unless the female is in heat. The female will always run the house and if the male does try to" hike" on her she will tell him a thing or two quick ; )~ This is only from my personal experiences from raising pits......

-Jim-

11. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    If you want a lap dog get a pekinese ........you want a dog to herd then get an austrailian sheperd .........want a good dog round kids get a heinz 57.........what were pit bulls bred to do . If you arent using them for that purpose then you are taking unwarrented risks. There are plenty of dogs that need homes in shelters that are truly mans best friend. Ive never had had a mutt turn on me. Pure breds are a different story.

12. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    If you are 100% sure of your ability to control your dog in all situations and multiple dogs likewise then disreguard my previous comments.

13. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Yeah my male is fixed, and I would spay or nueter whatever other dog I got..Im not a breeder, so no need for them not to be spayed of neutered..The only animal my dog is agressive towards is racoons..He has never attacked another dog, but man he does hate coons...They only other dog he has really been around though is my parents female pitbull. He was around a standard poodle but that was years ago, he was fine with that dog too..He is fine with the cat too..I know he would probably growl and show his teeth, but i dont want him putting the puppy in his mouth and shaking the life out of him. I really think he would be fine, I am just curious to everyone elses opinions. Will 2 neutered males get along??

14. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have over twenty years of experience raising and breeding the American Pitbull Terrier,choose a laid back pup if you want a house dog and a more aggressive one for protection or man work( attack or Schutzhund training).As far as pits getting along, males and females are less likely to fight but will on occassion, males will fight males and females will fight females most of the time,not always but from my experience eventually it will happen. Inbreeding is a tool used by breeders who are trying to lock certain desirable traits into their line of dogs, some of these traits are :endurance, size, color,muscle and the worst one aggressiveness. Getting them fixed to reduce aggression is a myth in my opinion. Vets tell owners this and they have it done only to have to euthanize their pet anyway,animal aggression is bred into these dogs and they can be taught to become man eaters as well, which is a big mistake. Most neophytes believe this is the way to raise a pitbull and that is where most of the bad reputation comes from,a pitbull should never be taught human aggression unless done by a professional involved in law enforcement or the military etc. I implore all potential owners to educate yourselves before purchasing a Pitbull, these dogs are not for everyone and can be dangerous if in the wrong hands. And to all the responsible owners I applaud your efforts in presenting the pitbull in a positive light , keep up the good work.I hope this helps educate some and put to rest a few of the myths associated with this noble breed.

15. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I've got a pit/lab mix. I never know what he's gonna do. Some dogs come by to visit and play, and other times.....Kattie bar the door. I looked out my window one day to see what the growling was about, and there he was rolling with a German Shepherd. When I got out there; they were just playing.
    He has "friends" that stop by to visit and play, and others that just are trespassers if they show up. Darned if I can figure it out, but size isn't an issue....
    I've even gone out in the morning to find he's had overnight guests, bedded down in the same house, LOL.

Good luck. This is my last pit. I won't own another.

16. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I personally have never had 2 males (pitbulls anyway) at the same time that were both neutered. I have had 1 fixed and 1 not, that was a disaster, cost many stitches in the neutered one.

If do know some people who have 2 fixed males and they get along fine, but they are out of the same litter and have always been together.

My recommendation is to get a female pup and have her spayed BEFORE she comes into her fist heet. I wish we would have caught the female we have now before she came in heet the first time. Could have saved us some vet bills.

I like female pits. They (to me anyway) seem to be more loyal and easier to train than the males I have had. They also learn a little quicker not to bother the other dogs. They understand their limits and don't test them as much.

17. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I had one for 13 years. I used to live more out in the country and every area dog used to come by and sit at our door waiting for him to come out and play... They were all his buddies, EXCEPT TWO! .. 1 from what I could tell, was the "alpha" dog of the area.. First time he seen my dog, he ran into our yard and growled and snipped at him then took of running. My dog hated that one every since... Wife was leading him to the car one day and my dog spotted him about 3 blocks away and was off like a rocket... Body slammed him at full speed and then just pinned him down by the neck. he didn't shake or try and tear em up, just pinned him.. Guess it was his way to let the other dog know "Don't ever mess with me again!" ....

The other was a 125lb Rott that growled and tried dominating him the first time they met.. Was everything I could do to get him off that dog.. That was the only two times I ever seen any type of aggression out of him out of 13 years. Countless hours of play time with other dogs and just laying on his back letting the other dogs get his neck etc... Its all in how they first meet.....

Oh and mine hated squirrels instead of raccoons heh. He'd try to climb the trees after them..

As far as good "house" dogs, its been my experience that you'd be hard pressed to find a more loyal, loving, and obedient animal. You will have to invest your time and love to them though and not just chain em up in the back yard....

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well if its any help. i have a 9 year old pit. and a 5 year old lab. they were togather for quite ome time and were fine togather. my pit isnt agressive towards people. jumps up at ya and licks ya. hes strong but doesnt bite.

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sheila (Kat-Tamer) mentioned about spaying your dog before its first heat.

Excellent comment. Every cycle or pregnancy a dog has ensures the chances of malignant or benign breast tumors in latter days of their age. If you aren't going to breed them spay 'em before their first heat.

I don't care whether you do or not, it is your dog and of course you Da Boss. The Animal Welfare Nuts and Humane Societies have been preaching this for years and it hasn't done any good. They got to figure out another way to flap their gums to find a solution.

Some of the solution will come this year. If the economy goes sour and it is gonna, more dogs and cats will be thrown out of car windows like empty beer cans because people can't afford them. The population will decrease dramatically, and of course there is no one on this forum who would do that.

20. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    now see thats just not true though... if a dog has had breeding to do something in the past it doesnt mean its gonna be like that generations later... look at the dachsund breed.. they were bread to hunt and fight badgers.. now what are they? lap dogs.. they are hound dogs beleive it or not but they arent used for that. pitbulls were fighting dogs but they arent used for that anymore, ya there are some people who still do some underground dog fighting but its very rare that youll get a pit out of two parents who were bred to fight in a ring.