Overnite trip to Loup power canal

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by Frankie B, May 20, 2009.

1. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

Me and a buddie went fishing last nite...I would say poles in the water about 9:15pm....and fished till 7:40am....

Great trip my buddie got a PB blue 13lbs...what a hog...glad I grabbed the net for this trip...

I must have been a little rusty...I had 3 fish all make it to the shore line then SNAP...

2 blues 1 flathead and 1 channel

Attached Files:

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Those are some nice fish Frank! Glad you see you guys had a nice trip. I know how frustrating it is to loose fish a the last minute of the battle. Gotta keep at it!! I guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching!! Better luck next time. Anyhow, congrats to your friends awesome Blue Cat. Cool!! Wish I could catch a Blue sometime. That would make my day!! Have a good one Frank and hope to see you at the gathering. It's coming up fast!!

3. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska
    where you around genoa on the canel? Went fishing up by monroe the other night and just got a couple bites. no fish

4. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

headworks...

5. ClearCreek

ClearCreek New Member

State:
    Wyoming
    Frankie B -
    Looks like you caught a flathead, one younger channel catfish and two older channel catfish. Those two older channel cats are the ones you are calling blues. The anal fin has a rounded bottom, that makes them a channel cat. Blue cats have a anal fin with a straight edge along the bottom of the fin.

Nice fish however!!

ClearCreek

6. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

well I was going off of the number of rays on the fin 31 on the larger one and 34 on the smaller one....I think they are blues...anybody else

7. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    thats a nice stringer of fish for shure:wink:

8. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska
    Its pretty hard to tell from the pics you got. Could be either

9. subcook

subcook Member

State:
    Grand Island, Nebraska
    hey frankie what were u using for bait? I use livers gill's cubs but I don't get a bit for hours on end maybe I am just in the wrong place huh? where is the head works for the loup canal? is that by west of fullerton? like a state park kinda thing? thanks

10. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

headworks is east of fullerton and before you get to genoa....I'm useing the same bait you are sounds like...I've been getting a lot of flatheads useing sunfish the last few times out there...

11. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Hey man, nice fish - I have been wanting to get back up near headworks and fish again. A buddy of mine has been hammering the Flatties just downstream from the diversion dam. He got a 16 pound Flathead last week there. Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents about your fish. I don't think those are Blues. I lived in Tennessee for awhile and Blues were about all I caught down there. If you get a blue, you'll know it. They are noticeably lighter in color (small ones are a light silver/blue, big ones are blue/silver/gray), the anal fin will be straight edged, and they have a different shaped head. There's a chance I could be wrong, but I'm 98 percent sure those are Channel Cats. Good fish though!

12. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    i couldn't tell from the pictures, but that's a nice catch of fish!:big_smile:

13. subcook

subcook Member

State:
    Grand Island, Nebraska
    hey frankie what size gills do u use? I use smaller one's that are maybe an once or 2 like chub size. with a number 2 bait holder hook. and what weight u use to keep it down there where tho bigger cats are u know what I"m saying bro I use 3 or 4 ounces now but I don't think that's nearly enough u know? thanks for the help

14. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

sounds like your doing everything right....or the same way I do anyways.....the flatheads are really hitting right now I have gotten more this month than all of last year...keep it simple at the canal---find a spot---drop line----sit and wait----till morning usually

15. subcook

subcook Member

State:
    Grand Island, Nebraska
    hey thanks for all the help and advise frank do u use ur minnow trap in the canal or in a river or creek? I might have to try that way cuz I have to be doing sumthing wrong to not be having any luck u know what I mean? well I'll hit u up when I"m heading out that way again if u wanna head out just let me know and I'll see what's on my schedual k? laterz and thanks again bro