Overloads?

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by olefin, Oct 29, 2009.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    S&W 629.

Picture 1

Picture 2

I've reloaded 1000's of .357 & .38 SPL but always went by the book.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I bet those drawers didn't make it back in the underwear drawer.

3. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    think the ammo was repacked one too many times?

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I dont know about repacked, but they were def loaded way to hot if they blew the cilinder apart like that. thats crazy, and a good point, don't be a DUMB @$$....it would take a butt load of powder to do that...

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I hope everyone around when it went off is safe.

6. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Looks like the case was overcharged to me by the pics.I had a neighbor years ago that overcharged a 5.56X45 in an AR15.He was under the impression that you could not overfill the case , yeah he was wrong.Luckily he only lost the upper reciever and nothing that money couldn't replace.I have had a primer rupture before but thank goodness that was it.I have seen the results of using a pistol powder in a marlin .444 lever rifle.The reciever split into like a banana peel and the wooden forearm splintered and went into his arm about 3/4 of an inch.The latter was a guy that reloaded all his life and was about mid 40'3 when it happened.He was no rookie but just got in a hurry that day.Thats why it is important even if you think you will be loading more soon to go ahead and dump the powder back in the original can.Even when I am developing a load I load five at a time.I put that powder up an grab the next can.Always double check not only your powder measure but the actual scales as well.You can never be to careful when it comes to gunpowder.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    DONT SMOKE WHILE RELOADING!!! got a buddy that did and he spent new years in the ER from flash of gun powder to the face, and he wasn't even close to an newbie, he went in to get something out of his reloading room, he was smoking a cigarette had some powder laying around from his last loading, and a bit of hot ash from the cig hit the powder, the rest was BOOM!!! no good my friends not good....:embarassed:

8. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    A cracked or thin case will not do that kind of damage. I've loaded 1000's of rounds of ammo and my best guess is that it was a (Double throw) twice the powder. If you get in a hurry that can happen, it's best to visually check each round before seating the bullet. What a waste of a fine firearm!:angry:

9. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    funny,thats the 6th smith and wesson 626 357 that I've seen like that,a gun store near where I live has three of them hanging on a wall that all did the same thing with factory ammo,and I seen two other ones in person who had blown up like that, all of them were the same model and caliber,I know three of them were factory ammo,don't know about the others. Also saw a guy bring in a raging bull taurus in 454 casull blown up at the cylinder awhile back.

10. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Has there been a recall on the 626?

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    "Mercy" That was a lesson learned by someone. I hope no one was hurt.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jeremy a split shell will do that to. I saw the same thing happen with a ruger 44 mag once. Took the guys right thumb off. Dayton whom was holding that iron when it got to hot.

Mark J I almost bet those drawers had to be pulled out of what they were covering because he set a grip on them when that happened.
    That is why when I was reloading my hand gun loads I always trickle charged and weighed my shells before seating the bullet

13. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    a 629 blow up like that from over/double charge what powder bullseye ? wrong powder maybe . i think his last round was a squib, primer no powder, he had to reload then fire , or barrel was plugged already. cylinder was full when he/she dropped the hammer. hope everybody ok.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I got one piece of advice about shooting reloads.

If you didn't load it don't shoot it.
    I learned this by coming close to being killed.
    A local man reloads thousands of rounds of ammunition. He has barrels of it.

I bought 40 rounds of .308 from him. He gets mad if you call them reloads. They are remanufactured rounds:roll_eyes:

Anyway I shot several out of a Mauser I had. First couple were ok.
    The next several were locking the action up tighter then a drum.
    After a few minutes the bolt would release.
    This should have been a stern warning to me.

Instead I went and got another .308 I have with a "WP" stamped barrel.
    They locked that one up too.
    I knew he loaded a little hot.

After 10 rounds I go in the house. I always save my brass and take a look at them.
    After looking at those cases I literally started shaking.
    All ten had smutted primers and 4 of them had cracks along the case longer then a 1/2". Several others had smaller cracks or multiple cracks. The cases were ballooning in the chamber.

On a .308 you are talking about 60,000 PSI of hot gas in the face if you lose a primer. .308 runs one of the higher pressures out there due to it's slow burning powder.

Needless to say the 10 unfired rounds were laid on his counter. I told him I wasn't asking for my money back, he could have the shells. Walking out I said you are going to kill somebody.
    I imagine he loads so many shells that he isn't recalibrating his equipment as often as he should.
    I'll put it to you this way. I can take a Federal or Winchester round and shake to hear the powder. His you can't.
    I know little about reloading but I've heard the term "compressed loads" in reference to the stuff he sells from other people. If there was any air in those cases it was very little.

Don't shoot it unless you load it. It aint worth the risk of somebody else having a bad making your day worse.

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Willard, pictures were sent to me. Only said the person wasn't injured. I bet he had wet pants.

16. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :crazy:never heard of 626 i'll have to look it up:confused2: i think this is a 629 44mag .:wink:

17. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    If you look at it the cases on either side of the top are ruptured also, not ripped open but ruptured like the primer depth was not correct or something. The bullet on the right chamber is gone and the one on the left is pushed forward. It appears that all 3 rounds went off at the same time. Typically the guns I have seen where a double charge or a squib then a regular are fired to blow up the gun the other 2 cartridges are damaged and may be even rupture but the gasses vent from the rupture and do not push the bullet forward.

18. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I agree wit Andy52, it was a double duty booty pop...ouch:eek:oooh:

19. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    so you think high primers hit the recoil sheild then fired ? any time i have had high primers my 629 wouldn't revolve i don't think double charge . i think maybe wrong powder or possiable cook off? gun is awfuly clean was this done intentionaly?

20. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Maybe bullseye, possibly Unique..lots of options there, could be AA #2 or #5. My thinking about the squib theory, if that would have happened the gun would have blow forward of the cylinder. From what I could see in the photo, the cylinder is what failed....indicating a over charge.