Overkill?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by TRP1, Jul 19, 2007.

1. TRP1

TRP1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got a real good deal on an Abu Bg-10000 ct Reel I plan on using for big Cats. Is this too much and what would be a great rod for this? Thanks for any info.......................

2. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    not overkill if you get the record of 120+ i use the 9000 myself
    as far as rods depends if your boatin or banking i use a 6.6 trophy series boatrod got at bass pro for like 25.00 dollars if you want the 10ft plus surf rods it's nothing but an uglystick

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    If i hadn't said it. Welcome to BOC.

4. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree with what Dan says.Use larger bait at least 1/2 lb. or more.
    Jake

5. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Welcome to the BOC. Hang that reel on an Ugly Stik Tiger and spool up some good strong line and you will have a big cat rig that will handle anything you will hook.

Cheez

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Rich. I also use the 9000's. Maybe overkill but it will catch the big and also the small.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Rich welcome to the BOC, it might be a overkill but it depends on what size cats u are fishing for.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    In my opinion, there is no such thing as overkill. When you do hook into that big daddy you'll know you have what it takes to get him to the boat. When I'm out on the river for blues, we have one really stout rod that we put a 2 foot section of eel or a 1 or 2 lb shad head/skeleton on. We only got bit once on it and I missed it but you know it's going to be a big fish. That thing will hold up to a monster. Use some big bait on a big rod and some big line and you'll be ready.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John has told you right. That set up will drag the big ones in.:0a27::0a27:

10. TRP1

TRP1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bought a new ugly stick 7' Tiger med-heavy rod. Getting ready to load up the reel with 80# Spiderwire Stealth.............Should Git-R-Done.

11. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    No such thing as overkill....though under equipped can really suck.:smile2:

12. neal

neal New Member

State:
    ky.
    Over Kill? Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! I think that a 10000 would make the uglyest rod look great.:0a23:

13. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I don't think it's overkill....I think you got a good setup....It might be overkill if you used it in a 5 year old farmpond, but anytime you're in "BigCat" waters, you better be prepared to hook and land a "Big" cat....Look at the post on these forums of people that "hooked em" and the ole cat broke the "weak link" of their setup....Dwight

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    1-2lb shad head man id like to see some of those dudes around here:dribble:

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You got to be where the American Shad migrate up the rivers out of the Ocean every year to get Shad like that.The record is over 11 lbs.I have seen one caught in a commercial gill net that the the man claimed was 9 lbs.by the grocery store scale.I believed it by the size of the fish and the mans & the grocers reputation.Nearly every Shad that I have seen in 55 years ran between 2 1/2 to 7 lbs.the female being larger.Most that you will catch will run between 3-5 lbs.The amount of and the maturity of the eggs in the female has a awful lot to do with the weight.They make a fine 1-2 ft.bait for the big Sharks if you got the rig and great cut bait for everything else including Striped Bass.You even hear of a Largemouth Bass biting cut Shad ever once in a great while.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

16. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I was SW Stealth fan for the last couple years and thought it was the greatest. It is still as good as PowerPro but for less money IMO but the new Spiderwire Ultracast is the ticket. It is better than Steath or PowerPro in every way except price. It is a little high but well worth the price. I tried it out this weekend and it won't bury in the spool like the other braids. It is coated and very round even like a mono. Time will tell but for now I am totally impressed with this new line.

Cheez

17. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I'll have to give that ultracast a shot.:0a23:

18. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    If you are in potential record waters no such thing , heck up here we have channels only but i have and use a MH tiger rod with a penn 320 or jigmaster 500 that i use at certain times . Why becuase we do not have a lot of people here that target cats and i have seen what i beleive to be cats because of the baits being used bury them selves in lay downs and break tackle and hearts on several occasions in our primary channel cat river .

19. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If you are on a river close enough to the sea it might even be Bull Sharks.They come clear up into Channel Cat water in The Savannah River and I haver personally seen a Flounder over 55 miles and again at 37 miles up the Ogeechee River.I got the mileages from a Ga.Fish & Game Warden.I love you Brothers and Sisters.