Overkill Rod Holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by tatersalad, May 30, 2006.

1. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    made my rodholders for bank fishing this weekend. 4' piece of 3/8 rebar with a 2' section of 2" PVC held on with hose clamps. Hammer in at an angle and ready to go. I'll try to post some pics later, but I think you can get the picture from the description.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like they will work well. Can't wait to see the pics.

3. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    i'll go knock one in the ground later, and post pics probably this evening.

4. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Here are a couple pics. I didn't drive it far into the ground, since the fishin' has been slow in the front yard

:big_smile_2:

Attached Files:

5. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    I've got the same thing except I used duct tape in place of the hose clamps. I also sharpened the end you drive in because I fish in some rocky areas. They work very well.

6. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    nice to know the idea wasn't too kooky. I am hoping to try them out this weekend.

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    They will work well.

I too use spin, tightline & use PVC & rebar. If the PVC holder can slide down on the rebar it helps so the BIG cats don't steal the rod(s). That way my rods are always close to the ground. That way I can place the rod holder(s) in between a few rocks or in a soft sandbar. I'm still rebuilding and redesigning mine.

8. hunter_x

hunter_x New Member

State:
    Missouri
    OK I am posting this comment just so I can see the pics of your holder. Been thinking bout makin a set for myself. Please excuse my non-post post.

9. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Keep 'em coming. Been there and done that myself

10. hunter_x

hunter_x New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yep, just as you described, I'd be a little worried bout the "spring" in the rebar. You hook a good'n and it may bend it far enough to pull the rod out!
    I'm sure that can be overcome with a steeper angle than the pic though?

11. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Realized that myself. I just wanted to get the pic. I am going to add a lanyard of some kind, just in case.

Where in MO are you? My grand folks used to live across the lake from Branson.

12. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    hey tater, do you have any trouble getting your rod out of the holder to set the hook?

13. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    that's why i went with the 2" PVC. it's a little looser than i'd like for rod security, but with my luck, I'd miss the fish of a lifetime not being able to get the rod out if i went with anything smaller. That's also why i went with the 3/8 inch rebar. It's bendy enough that i can hit the hook with the rod in the holder.

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I would like to see the fish able to bend the rebar... Have it shift in the ground maybe but not to the point the rod will come out... it'd have to pull the rebar and the pvc till its past parrallel to the water... Now that would also mean that you have too stiff a rod (basically using a piece of rebar or a 1 inch wood dowel (which would still have a good amount of spring) and also that your drag was set way too high plus you were using extremely heavy line (100 + probably)...

I'd say good rod holder tater...

15. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I picked-up a couple dog leashes at the dollar store for the same reason. Put the rebar thru the hand-loop & clip the other end back onto the leash (in a loop) above the reel......quick to remove when you need to, not bullet-proof, but would buy ya a few extra seconds (if not more).

Also, you might add a kicker to it, it'll make a BIG difference in the stability.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/Catfishing/IM001614.jpg

Smitty

16. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I'd love to, but one of the reasons i made these this way is - no welder.....

I'm going to give these a try for a while. With any luck, I'll have a boat before too long, and won't have as much need for these on the bank

:big_smile_2:

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    looks Like They Ought To Work Just Fine. It Would Take One Big Fish To Bend That Rebar.that Stuff Is Realtough.let Us Know How They Work. I Make My Own But Out Of Metal .able To Get To A Welder.use Eletric Fence Post ,thier Tough And Light ,weld Them To -1&1/2 Steel Pipe.works Good.had Pole Bend Double And Have Never Lost A Pole.not Yet Anyway Knock On Wood.

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good lookin rod holder, set your drag, attach a bell, take a nap. LOL

Good job