overheating problem

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catfishjon, Mar 28, 2008.

1. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have a 2000 70 hp Tohatsu motor on my flounder boat. The eng. hot horn will come on when I run it at 5000 rpm, but not at 4000 rpm. I replaced the water pump impeller and t-stat with the same results. The water flow from the weep tube always had warm water out of it and the water pressure maintained 9 to 10 psi at 4000 and 5000 rpm. This boat has always been on the coast around Corpus Christie, Tex. The local dealer in Aransas Pass said I most likely had an algie buildup in the power head. He said the algie insulated the water jacket and the heat transfer could not take place. I pulled the head off and I think he was right. There was lots of buildup. I let it air dry for a week and cleaned it out with bore cleaning brushed from my .17 cal. cleaning kit. I am going to try it out next week and will let you know the results. Has anyone else had a problem with this? Catfishjon

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    im not sure im not familiar with this but somoene here will help ya

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have seen this problem once or twice before and have seen it with salt also. If you trailer that boat I would flush it about once a month with clorox soulation to keep that problem at bay. Or use salt away that is a good cleaner and CLR is also a good one.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC

I've seen it a few times, being here at salt water. Calcium build up, corrosion, or algea, is a problem. Keeping your water pump, and thermostats in good condition, and flushing after each use, is about the best way to stay ahead of it. Don't wait until the next day to flush it out.

I was in the service with a guy from Aransas Pass Tx, named Micheal David Nolan. Strange how a word or two will bring back a memory from over 40 yrs ago.

5. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks for the info. Bubbakat. I will flush after every use. Catfishjon