Overflow on tub leaking

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Cattracker16, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I recently put in a whirlpool tub in my bathroom, evertime the water level gets up to the overflow it leaks into basement. the rubber gasket is in place and the screws are tight it just doesn't seem to have a good enough seal between the tub and overflow. Looking for suggestions on how to fix. should i use caulk? Thanks in advance

Kenny

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Make one of the beefalo's wait for round 2...?:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone. Coco Chanel

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Try sealing it. Use some good sealer like stuff made by G.E. Does the O ring have a dent/ crease in it? Does it fit snug in the piece?
    Bill

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Run over to wally world and go to the sports section and look in the stuff where they sell stuff for boats. There will be some M 5200 or 4200 tube.

Use the 4200 it sets up quicker. Take the over flow out and put you a good layer on it and reinstall. Give it about 12 hrs to cure good. That is the best sealer bar none. You won't use the whole tube so put the rest in the fridge for later use.

For the excess that squeezes out from under the gasket just take a rag with a little alcohol or mineral spirits and clean up.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Bubbas Right The 5200 Or 4200 Will Work For Sure, WHATEVER You Do Don't Forget Anything During Assembly, "Cause You Ain't Gettin' It Back Apart" :wink:

6. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Gasket is a flat prolly 1/4" or so thick that goes between outside of tub and flange for overflow no crease or divit just flat.

what the heck are beefalos? And why are they using my tub?

7. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    bubbas idea would work im sure .
    i just wanted to show you this though for gp just to see if there
    was a mix up of gaskets .

maybe they put 2 of the gaskets for the drain shoe and omitted your waste overflow ?

anyhow here in this link it shows a waste overflow gasket and the large
    or thick side points down when installing .
    truthfully on a new install no putty sealant or compound of any type should be neccessary unless there are extinuating circumstances.

ive put quite a few waste overflows in and tightening the screw or screws
    is about all that is needed to form a water tight seal.
    it sounds to me like the gasket is not properly fitting causeing a gap allowing water to run down the outside of the tub as well as the pipe.
    i bet your gasket is wrong. it sounds like the gasket you used actually was for the tub boot (bottom drain).

8. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    DRC that is a good possibility i got them mixed up. well guess i'll have to tear it apart and fix it so no more water runs down outside of the tub.