Overcoming the fear of the Big River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Malichi1970, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Well, I finally did it....I took my boat out on the Mississippi river yesterday. Thanks to Chris and Tom for taking me with them on their boats and showing me a thing or two about handling the larger rivers. I also need to thank Darryl for giving me directions to a boat ramp that I never would of found by myself that put me on the river right next to Loc and Dam #25. Took my nephew out with me yesterday morning and after getting very frustrated trying to find some Shad we hit a few holes on the river. Caught one Channel about 2lbs. and lost my anchor and got a bit of a sun burn as well. But mostly enjoyed just being on the water. He had never been out on the river in a boat so he had a blast. Caught only one Shad and was using small Bluegill we caught here by the house. The only fish I caught was on the one Shad we had....go figure. Anyway thanks again to Chris, Tom, Darryl, and even Vince helped a little showing me things when I was out with Tom.

2. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Confidence buddy. You will do fine. Know what your limitations are with you and your equipment and take it slow until you get the hang of it.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    VINCE!!!! Stop that!
    We're talkin about takin a boat out an getting some fishing done. This is no time to talk nasty.
    :0a5:

Great job Michael. Glad you finally took the step. Rivers have so much potential an you never know what the next bite will be, a 2 lb'er or a 50 lb'er. Looks like now we need to get you up to speed on catching bait.

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    No matter how confident you become never, never lose respect for the river. Never

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Bob, couldn't have said it better myself. This is a rule I live by!! See ya Sunday!:big_smile:

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Thanks for the advise Bob, I grew up on smaller rivers and was always taught to respect them. Even fear them to some degree, which is why I took so long getting my boat out on the Mississippi. I went out on a few lakes and the Meramec many times trying to get a better feel for the boat we bought. I now feel confident in what my boats abilities are and after seeing what to expect on the bigger rivers I felt that I could handle it. I know there is still alot to learn and I'm always willing to sit in anyones boat. Those that took me out know that I'm kind of quite, but I sit there watching and listening to everything going on learning all I can.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think the big rivers are a blast! Gotta keep an eye out at all times for submerged dikes, and floating debris though. The past couple of times out, I have been allowed alot of time at the helm, and am getting alot better at launching, and loading, and running lines in the current. Just gotta always be alert, and give the river plenty of respect. If you don't she will claim you in a second.:eek:oooh:

8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That will teach me not to post until I have my second cup of coffee!! Geeze.. Critics!!! :smile2:

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Bob couldn't say it any better, that's why I don't allow alcohol on my boat. I need/want all my senses at their best when navigating the river. Whether it be day or night.

You learn the big river and you'll soon learn what it has to offer.

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I have had a couple of close calls in my 15 or so years on the Missouri river. It is always because you let your guard down and do something without thinking first. I am very lucky I didnt sink my boat. I found a chute around and island that had full current and pretty good water. There was a dyke across the chute that had a cut in the middle. I didnt know if there was enough water to get through so I anchored above the cut. My anchor let go the boat went through the cut and turned around catching the rope on the lower unit. I am now sitting with my transom facing full Missouri river current. I was able to grab a knife and cut the rope before I got too much water in the boat. Lucky for me I use cut bait. The knife was laying on the cutting board and real handy. After I threw away my underwear I found the rope and reclaimed my anchor and went on fishing the tournament. But now I dont anchor too close to anything. I stay up far enough to react in an emergency. And needless to say, the knife stays right where it was on that day.

11. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bob, I have had a few of those close calls also. An anchor is not worth your life. I always keep a very sharp knife normally with suraded (misspelled) edges for cutting either on my belt or close to the anchor just for cutting the rope. You can find the cheapos for under 10 dollars. If you drop them in the river, no great loss. It was there for saving your life anyhow. Sometimes seconds count as these rivers are not to be played around on.

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yup. My standard answer when somebody asks me what the most dangerous thing on a river is is "Yourself". Any time I've been scared or had a close call it wasn't the river's fault, it's because I did something boneheaded and asked for a problem. A good rule of thumb is if you think it might be a bad idea, it probably is....:wink:

13. osage

osage New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo.
    I am getting closer to going out on the Missouri myself. Was going to go this weekend but figured with a rise on the river might not be the best idea for a rookie. I have been below Truman when it was running strong, fished the Osage a ton when I was a kid with my granpa, I have been on Tuman with 35 mph winds and white caps from hell. Yet I am still scared of the Mo.

14. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    You'll find the more times you go out on the Missouri the less afraid of it you become. You will or should always have that streak of fear in the back of you mind but the more times you experiance the river the less it bothers you but I think it keeps you safer. I have been fishing the Missouri for several years and I still am not 100% comfortable in the current. Best thing I ever bought was a fish finder..waters you believe are 100 feet deep may only be 10. Like a lot of the other brothers I also have several knives around in my boat just incase I have to cut a anchor or something. Remember those close calls and try not to repeat them. When I'm on the river (alone) I try different things with my boat, like turning it sharp. Stop and turn and other silly looking antics but by doing so if I have to turn sharp or stop for some reason I have a good idea how my boat is going to react. I have also found out my boat reacts totally different in the current than in the shallows so watch out for the flying carp and get use to the river. I've seen people out there do some really stupid things and some that I can't tell my wife about!! Good luck on the river..

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, I was nervous as a cat for the longest time on the river. Then I got pretty comfortable during the day and started the night fishing. Nervous for another couple of months till I got comfortable with that:smile2: Once you get the hang of it, though, a lake seems just weird. No current, people everywhere, just kind of odd. Crazy and Fishingbuddy4 can tell the story on me the first time a barge passed me on the river and I called them as it was coming down river asking them what to do. They were kind enough to explain it to me ("Just get out of the way, Dummy!") and not make too much fun of me. The only reason I'm as comfortable on the river as I am now is because those two guys were nice enough to take me out a few times and show me how it worked. Also learned a TON of stuff on the site that saved me learning it the hard way on the water. It's like anything else, pay attention, check the weather before you hit the water, and do your best to plan for any problems. Spare spark plugs, fuses, some tools, spare prop, etc in the boat gives a guy a lot more confidence when something happens as well. You also can't have too much rope on a boat. Good Luck!

Branden

16. 314 CAT

314 CAT New Member

State:
    St.Louis MO.
    Way to go Malilchi1970!!!!!!! Git-r -dunnnnnnnn!!!!!!:wink:

17. Wolvrine

Wolvrine New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I've never had what I would call a "close call" on the MO yet, but I've only been fishin' out of my own boat for about three years now...and yeah, I have a lot of respect for that river. If you are careful and watchful though, you can't beat the experience that the "big" rivers give...man do they ever get into your blood. I'm to the point now, that it is just "missing" something if I'm fishin' and am not on the river. I knew that there was something that I was also missing, the stories that I used to read on this site...nice to be back.

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Met my first night-time barge on the Missouri last night. No big deal as it turned out - he was empty and going downstream so very little wake. But I got far out of his way anyhow...

Couldn't believe how much light he was using - two enormous spotlights that lit up the water and bank probably 1/2 mile or more.

19. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would have to say KUTTER is. The One and Only Thunderstorm King!
    Lets be politically correct and restate this.. My standard answer when somebody asks me what the most dangerous thing on a river is KUTTER.
    Mike learned from the most dangerous for sure..

20. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yeah, I still have a knot in my back from going air born over one of those waves and landing hard on the water....