Over the hill gang

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mac-b, May 17, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    This little thread might create a little interest for those over sixty who want to share some insight into their daily activities, home remedies, interest, insight, outlook of/on life (good or bad), advice to the young, cooking skills, menopause happenings, medical conditions, retirement (good and bad features of it), etc., last but not least, fishing activities. It will be an open forum, with the youngster being welcome to discuss their parents or grandparents. All contributions to this thread should relate to people over sixty.

I will start it off, never for one moment did I think I would ever live to be seventy. When I was in my twenties, I was of the opinion that people in their late fifties and sixties were older than dirt and real close to being dirt again.
    But, time flies and here I am doing almost everything I did in my thirties, forties, fifties and sixties. My sleep patterns are screwed up, I now go to bed at 7 or 8 PM and get up at 2 or 3 AM. I never pass up a good nap between the hours of 11 AM to 2 PM and when I lay the old head down, I'm gone for 45 minutes to a hour of so. I do not eat as much as I use too, but I eat more often. Farts I don't trust anymore!

I have had my say for a few monents, the forum is now open for the rest of the 'over the hill gang'. LNB, aka Mac

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My parents and grandparents are all dead. I'm only 56 and 1/2, see ya, can't talk. I'm not old enough.:smile2::tounge_out::smile2:

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Say what Mac? I can't remember yesterday too well. I will say, you know me, that I will jump in here. Gonna leave it go just now. Have to find my diary so I can remember everything or at least something, if I can remember where my diary is.

Frankly this should be interesting. I hope the young folk, those under the age of sixty participate to. Will be just like walking that mile and a half with a lunch pail to school again. Too bad that crick was there, I might have made it to school to carry coal into the schoolhouse sooner.

John.

4. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    In my 65 years I've found that it's hard to tell a young person anything. Thats because they know everything there is to know,if you don't thank so just ask one.:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

5. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Remember that old saying.hell I cant remember it.well thats part of it.When I go fishing and sit in the boat for 4 or 5 hrs everything sets up my knees dont bend, my back is stiff,and I have to have a plan to do anything.I go to the store for milk and if I dont have a list I have to call home to find out why in the hell Iam here.and yes farting takes on a new challange.All in all getting old is alot better then the alternative.
    smokey

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I WISH MY PARENTS HAD THE LIFESTYLE AT SIXTY THAT I HAVE NOW. OH ,HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED NOW,JUST REMEMBER WHEN THEY SAID YOU WILL BE THERE SOMEDAY. AS WE GROW SMARTER WE DO NOT NEED ALL THE SPACE AGE STUFF ANY MORE , JUST SOME NICE PEACE AND QUITE AND GET AWAY FROM ALL THE HUSSEL AND BUSSEL AND JUST START ENJOYING LIFE. MY DAY STARTS ABOUT 4 TO 4:30a AND IF THE WEATHER IS PROMITING I LIKE TO BE ON THE WATER BUY 5:30 AND THEN OFF 11:30 , JUST DON'T LIKE THE HEAT ANYMORE, THEN GO TO THE HOUSE AND MESS AROUND REST OF THE DAY, DO WHAT HONEY DO'S I NEED TO DO. FISHING IS THE BIGGEST PART OF MY LIFE NOW I WILL FISH NORMALLY FIVE DAYS A WEEK LEAVE THE WEEKEND TO THE WORRIERS BECOMING SMARTER IS NOT ALL THAT BAD AS LONG YOUR HEALTH STAY'S IN GOOD SHAPE

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    It appears that I stepped into some doo by stating that you had to be sixty to be one of the 'Over the hill gang'. I am going to revise this requirement a tad. If Hardee's, McDonald's, Arby's, Wendy's, Chick Filet, or any of the other quick food outlets offer you a senior discount without you asking for it or if you are fiftyfive or older, please feel free to join our little select group.

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm glad I can now speak on this thread. Thank you Norm.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Thank you for starting this thread. Y'all make me feel young!

There was a time 40 was the apex of the hill and my shadow is getting longer by the day.... but 60.... shew!!!! that there's a little way to go.:wink:

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    WHEN YOUR HAVING FUN, HOW TIME FLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool2:

11. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Several years ago, I had a friend named John Wilson, who was a avid crappie fisherman. John was a lineman for the local power company for thirty some years, the last 15 or so years he was the district foreman. He won more crappie and bass tournaments than you can imagine.

I met John back in the Spring of 2000 while I was working at my retirement job at a fishing/hunting store. We talked fishing every morning from 5:30 AM until he set out to go fishing for some crappie. He did not use crappie minows, but used little 1/32 to 1/16 oz. jigs of different colors. After a year or so he invited me to go with him fishing.

While on this trip, John told me about the old fellow that taught him how to fish for bass and crappie. They fished together for years and after several times of John beating the old man at bass and crappie fishing, the old man quit calling him and asking him if he wanted to go fishing. John tried calling the old man, but he would not answer the telephone. Finally John drove over to the old mans house to see what the heck was going on. The old man was home and John asked him what had happen to cause him not to want to fish with him. The old man said, John, when you can beat the teacher, it is time for you to move on and teach someone else. John told me he was heart broken over this, but later realized what the old man was saying and John went on to teach a lot of guys and gals how to fish for crappie.

John was five years older than I and we enjoyed many hours on the water fishing for cats, stripers and crappies. He had a heart condition most of his adult life and took med's to keep everything under control. About two years ago or maybe more, John found out that he had lung cancer and there was nothing his doctors could do for him. He talked to me about this and told me that he did not want to be bed ridden and just waste away. When I left him that day, I was afraid that he would get in his boat and go out and hit a bridge piling or something like that. But he did not, he just quit taking his heart meds for three days and died in his sleep. Miss you John and I always will. Mac

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great thread Mac!

Over the hill gang... I believe I'm qualified. :smile2:

I use to thing people over 60 was OLD! Now I've moved that up to 80.

I retired at 54 and it's been the best time of my life... not counting the problem I had at 55. About that time I thought I'd never see 60 but the Good Lord has been mighty good to me. Since then my wife and myself have been blessed with excellent health. I try to make the best use of every day and enjoy it to the fullest. Now the biggest problem I see is time is passing way too fast.

I don't have a problem sleeping, went to bed last night at 11 and woke up at 8 this morning,, that's not counting a couple times for pee call. I very seldom nap in the daytime. As for as eating, still have too much appetite, still love just about anything to eat. All the stuff with the high calories are my favorites. I try to limit my eating but still pig out quite often. We just got back from a 2200 mile road trip to parts of TN, NC, VA, WV and KY. Eat way too much so I'll be cutting back for a few days and getting back to walking 3 miles a day. May even get in some fishing. Us old farts have a great life!

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mr Mac., Sir:

When is anyone really over the Hill? The only ones I know like that are under the hill, 6 feet under.

I am 64 come June. I am youngest of the bunch that have spoken so far, other than OhNo and we NowKnow he is included to share his thoughts. We all lead our lives as is intended and it winds up how we made it. So many stories of growing up and working and living that we have from all walks of lives and educational backgrounds. It will be interesting to see some of them.

As is the case, normally the younger folk will smile, say they have heard that before and go about their business. Much like I did when my Grandfather and Father talked about it. That was a mistake. Don't know what I could have done differently but I know it was a mistake.

I was forced to retire at 62 years of age about the time sour cherries ripen here. After 6 months of a paralyzed left leg and pain I didn't think it was possible to have I let them slice and dice me. In the process of getting organized to go through this, a series of scout films, 3 MRI's and 4 CAT scans (I was a walking radiation bottle, I think Iran was about to call me to come over to melt me down to help them make the bomb) they found I had an indeterminable lesson on my right lung and would have to remove the lung to get to the problem. They couldn't biopsy it. My personality and knowledge of medicine made me part ways with the medical community and not graciously.

So they gave me disability and early SS. Tough, tough, tough on an old bird like me. Work is all I knew and all I wanted to do. So here I am, I don't like to think I am over the hill. I like to think I have parteth company with time. For the first time, time is mine and not somebody else's. And ya know what? After these last two years, time and I have become pretty good buddies. I don't punch his clock anymore and so far he hasn't punched mine.

Be back as your thread develops Mac and visit about some things life taught me when he was the boss.

Later, John.

14. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I tried to stay up and watch the All Star Shootout, or whatever they call it now, last night, but could not make it. Got up this morning and found out that a write in driver won it, now that don't sound fair. But, as this group knows, life ain't fair and never will be.

I will be working overtime this week, but it is the only week in the year that this occurs. All the racin' folks from all over will be in Charlotte and around Lake Norman for Speed Week and some of them like to catfish.

A long time ago, one of my older friends and myself were chatting and I asked him about old age, I was in my late forties then and he was in his mid sixties. The most profound thing he told me was, that he said he was always turning back the covers. He said that as soon as he got out of bed, it seemed that he was getting back in bed. Now I know what he meant by that statement. Man how time flies when you slide over the sixty mark.

I am glad we have someone on this thread that is eighty, now us youngsters have someone to turn to if we have questions about aging, SS benefits, secondary insurnance, AARP discounts, over the counter med's for joint, back and any other pains we might encounter on our journey to the ground.

15. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well myself, being the young pup that I am, wonder how long I have for this world.

Mac I know what you mean by the days going by fast. I think as long as a person trys to help his fellow man, it helps slow down the days.

Mark this on the calendar, my wife got called to go to work on 2 of her off days and she turned it down. Double time and a half, when they call her in. And her greedy little butt turned it down. LOL I think she is thinking of retirement more and more.

I'm all for that, Me and Her can sit and make faces at each other all day long.
    After a while, time spent at home with each other is more important than all that double time and a half.

I wish I had felt that way years ago when my kids were little. It seemed that I needed to work all the doubles I could, then My time at home was just sleep and head back to work. 16 hours a day, does not leave much time for anything. With 50 miles driving, back and forth, I think I was stupid for doing it.

You know, I'm kinda glad about this cancer thing, It tends to make a person slow down. And this social security disability check, makes it all better. Never thought I would get to liking, not having to go to work, or doing lot's of extras. Now I just putz along at my own pace, not someone else's. When I get winded or tired, I can just sit my butt down. No having to jump threw hoops.

And Mac lowered the age for this thread, Man I got it made. Now when I sit my tired old butt down, I have somewhere else to come.

Thank You Mac, for lowering the age.

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Well I will turn 46 at the end of this month so I guess i'll just sit back and read to see what I can learn from you old farts:wink::smile2:. I'll jump in again in about 9 years:smile2:.

Things learned so far,

1. Take regular naps from 11-2 daily.
    2. Start a diary so I can remember what I did or need to do. Note to self, May need to start this one now:smile2:.
    3. Don't tell young people anything, they already know it all or think they do.
    4. Be careful when you fart, it may not be just gas:eek:oooh:.
    5. At least try to pass on the things that you have learned to people that would listen.

17. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I reckon at 55 [ feel like 65] I can add mine don't jump outa bed check for new pains first don't read the obits early mornin cause they can be depressing when you see people your age and younger can't remember cr@@ is no longer joke

18. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    While OhNo was thinking about how many days he has left, I was on the water scouting for my trips this coming week. I did alright and if you are interested, I put on small report and some photo's over in Rambling.

Brother 777 is soaking in/up all the wisdom that the 'Over the hill gang' is putting out on this thread, and as Martha would say, that is a good thing.

Brother r ward, if you would happen to see one of our names listed in the obits, do us a favor and don't let us know, okay.

It appears that I'm coming up on the magic hour (11 AM) and that only means one thing, nap time.

19. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Old timer does young timer a favor. On my way back in this morning, I saw one of my fishing buddies out with his eight year old son and told them about a nice one I missed this morning. They went over there and caught six, the largest 32 pounds, reeled in by the eight year old. He said it took five minutes to get it in, his dad said twenty. Photo attached.

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I ain't over the hill yet,But the summit is in sight,I will be 47 in July. My thoughts on you older fellow's are I know you have a vast knoweledge to share If some of the pups will only listen. I have been taught from my childhood to respect my elders. Shoot I have done that and learned many great things from them. I have heard that grey hair is a sign of great wisdom,I'm sproutin a few each day,Heck I just may be gettin smarter.:wink::smile2: