Over the Hill Gang Part 3

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TOPS, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Post in this thread for part 3.

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My 5 day deoderant pads must be on day 6... sure is lonesome in here...:smile2:

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Top Sgt. now you have done it! It will be weeks, if not months, before some of the regulars (OF's) find Over the Hill Gang Part 3. Next time it would be nice if you would give us a two or three week advance notice before you start up another Part 4, OK.

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    YEAH WHAT HE SAID :eek:oooh::smile2:

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was lost, now I am found.

Sounds religious don't it? Not a chance with a hooligan like me.

Mac, you got to put a stern light out so you can be found more easily. Or get adept at smoke signals with your cigs.

Some of us on here "are" actually old, and anything to make it easier for us to come aboard would be helpful.

6. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Over the hill gang, 25 years ago yesterady Ol smokey and Ms. Dedi got hitched.now thats over the hill.
    smokey

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That's nothing,,,, May 23 it was 39 years for me and my better half,,,,,I feel so old.

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yep, I started a whole 'nother round of stories Sunday, over on OTHG 2. Wish I'd have known Top was going to close it that day; I'd have waited.

Anyhoooo.....if you want to read the FIRST installment you can find it THERE (I have two posts on the page, first one isn't the story.)

www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100584&page=83

She gathered her apron around the baby and ran until she was too tired to go any further, so she fell in a clump of bushes and stayed until dark before going on home.

Spring came. Grandpa hadn't made it home yet. She went to work with the help of the children and the old grey mare, to put in a garden so they could eat. She planted a little corn patch. When the corn was about waist high, one day a group of men came by riding horses. They cut all the corn, fed it to their horses, backed my Grandmother's old mare back to the fence and cut her tail off and rode on.

Finally, Grandpa got home, and they slowly began their lives all over again. Everyday he'd go out in the woods hunting food - wild greens, herbs, squirrel and rabbit, occasionally an opossum. They lived in the edge of the Cumberland Mountains. One day while out hunting food he heard a faint noise - listened awhile and set out to see where it was coming from. As he went up the mountain, it became plainer and plainer, sounded like a child. Soon he came up on a small negro boy tied to a tree, crying. Grandpa asked him why he was there. He began crying louder and louder, and said, "They were so many of us they couldn't take me so they left me here." It was a migrant family of freed negroes hunting a home and a place.

Grandpa took the child home with him. Later they adopted him and named him Henry. The child was cold and hungry after being out all night. Grandma had put a bunch of sweet potatoes in the hot ashes in the fireplace to cook for lunch. When they were ready, she gave the child some to eat. First he peeled them and ate the peelings - then ate the potatoes. When he was old enough, he was sent to school with the other children (boys) of the family. I am told that when he was grown, he put in a restaurant, and it grew into a chain of restaurants throughout the south. We always called him "Negro Henry".

Now, the nearest school was forty miles away. The little girls could not be sent that far and it was the general thought that girls did not need an education anyway. The boys were sent to school and received about a grade school education and made blacksmiths. Later they became railroad workers and miners. Uncle Taylor worked at the Etna Furnace between Hohenwald and Centerville (TN). We used to go down there and watch the red hot metal run out as the ore was melted down. Anyway, my mother did not get to go to school and she could neither read nor write, which was a source of embarassment to her, but she handled it. She had a wonderful memory and faced life well. She had a lot of pride and kept herself looking clean and nice all the time. (Catgirl note: That is one thing I always heard about my great-grandmother Turnbow - before she did ANYTHING else, she always made herself presentable. Also heard she was QUITE the spitfire.)

This reconstruction period was also at the close of the age of witchcraft, as people were becoming more educated - but there was plenty of it left in this generation - about every old ugly woman was looked upon as a witch. It was believed that if any of these old women got mad at you they could cause the milk cows to give bloody milk, by taking a forked limb from a tree and three hairs from the cow's tail, and along with a copper wire twist them around the forked stick and stand it in the corner of the barn - the cows would give bloody milk that night and it couldn't be used. There was one I especially remember hearing my folks talk about as "OLD SUCKIE POLK". She was old, and stooped, and ugly, and mean. I guess she also lived alone and that made her appear strange and different. Just about everything that happened in that community was laid off on Suckie Polk.

Aunt Pop Qualls, my grandmother's sister, was at her daughter's wedding. All of a sudden she collapsed on the floor unconscious. She lay in a coma several days. They sent for a bleeder and when he came he said, "She is bewitched. Let's take a half cup of blood from her and put in on the stove, and when it strikes a boil, the one who has her bewitched will come to borrow something, and if you won't let her have it, it will break the spell and the witch can never bewitch anyone again." So that was done, and as the blood began to boil, sure enough "Old Suckie Polk" came to borrow a slay (that was something to be used in spinning thread or weaving). She was told "none to spare". Suckie saw some hanging on the rafters above the bed, so she jumped upon the bed and grabbed one and ran. Pop did get over the spell.

During this period, doctors were scarce and the bleeders were used as doctors. Drawing blood seemed to be a remedy for many things. The bleeders stayed around the barber shops and a red and white pole was placed in front of every shop that had a bleeder, and that is where the "barber's pole" started.

To be continued.....

9. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    Hey over the hiller's I had to drop bu and visit a spell cuz I been a little removed from the computer for the last month or so!!
    I may not be as old in years as some but believe me rode hard and put away wet too many times just about equals up the ageometer !! LOL

I realize in my 42 years that everything I know that's good and decent I learned from folks older than me. The important stuff anyway!!

I really wish that technology was available that would allow us to receive knowledge transplants from older folks, then maybe the younger generations might be more able to stretch a dollar, overcome troubles and have a more well balanced outlook and perspective in life.
    It took me 38 hard years and bad choices to soften my head up enough to desire the more important things in our world, like our relationships with others and the ability to stand on a principle when countless others are rushing helter skelter to destruction with their fingers in their ears, without jumping on their bandwagon with them.
    While many try to perfect the art of deception, I with a greater understanding of purpose try to master the art of appreciation!!
    I appreciate my flowerbeds for the beauty they give and my garden for the bounty it gives! I appreciate the labors of others, the teachers, the builders, the workers on the assembly lines!!

I appreciate all of you as well!!

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats smokey and jim. Hope you have many more.

11. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps

I second what he said.....

I was found but the lasts time I looked I was lost !!

Which one of those OFs messed usans up anyway ?

opj

12. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I second that !!!

opj

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well, Ol smokey and Ms. Dedi, you're just 2 days and 28 years behind us. :smile2:

See what you find on the old farts thread. :wink:

Congratulations on you're 25th and to Jim on you're 39th!

14. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    As of May 20, 2009, I have been married off and on for 48 years. The current better 3/4's and myself have been together for 39 years plus. Man, time flies when you are having fun.:roll_eyes:

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
  16. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    So how come this marriage thing don't time out at some point? You can pay off a mortgage. I don't think the taller gender thought this thing thru properly.
    No offence to you ole farts who have shrunk smaller than the smarter thinkers.....
    :smile2:
    Still making the payments, evidently forever.

17. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    this june 17th will be our 30th anivers ,i still have not friggured out renewing the vows , i don,t remember a expiration date on our license, well just one death do u part :crazy:

18. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    "Still making the payments, evidently forever." Quote from Boots

Boots, we get assistance from Uncle Sam in making the final payments, which sometimes last for several decades.

19. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I ,M glad people r starting to find this new thread ,and posting to it ,i,ve missed all the new post the old thread was getting ,glad it,s back :cool2:

20. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dayton that wouldnt happen to be a 1955 crown victoria would it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.