Over stocked pond?

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by keller54, Dec 7, 2010.

1. keller54

keller54 New Member

State:
    IL
    a buddy of mine has a pond and im pretty sure its over stocked, the blue gill and latgemouth are extremply skinny and the channel cat arent as big i think they should be. the pond is pretty old, at least over 20 yrs. what should we do, i was thing about catching like 20 blue gill and around ten bass and cutting them and using them as bait or just throwing them and feeding the other fish. the pond is about 2-3 acers. any thoughts?? thanks

2. asselin24

asselin24 Member

State:
    Indiana
    go get yourself dinner. or like you said just start catching your bait out of the pond. sounds like a win win for everyone

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    put about ten 3-5 lb flatheads in there for a couple years.
    Baitfish it and keep all gills but the biggest breeders until it becomes difficult to catch a dozen or two.
    Fish out the smaller bass up to a couple pounds.
    If there are crappies in there, fish them out as much as you can.

In my 3 acre pond I have been thinking about establishing shad.

4. keller54

keller54 New Member

State:
    IL
  5. asselin24

asselin24 Member

State:
    Indiana
    if you put flatheads in there, would you want to take all the little fish out? or let the flatheads eat them all up?

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The best thing to do is drain it and start over. Most any university with an ag program or the county extension office will tell you how much of what to put in it and what not to put in it. It'll be a powerhouse of a pond at 3-5 years. Probably the best fishing you'll see in it unless it's well managed.
    We've done this several times.

First time we screwed up. We refilled a big pond and put the word out that it needed some fish. Nobody kept records of what was going in it. Totally bad mistake. It had to be drained again in a couple of years.

Leave the crappy out of a pond. They reproduce too fast and are too competitive for food.

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Draining would work, but man what a project- especially if is deep like mine,
    or if it has a ~~~ type bottom.
    Being an old pond, it could have some monster fish in it, be a shame to waste those.

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Flatties don't eat anything near as much as fisheries biologist would have you believe-I suggest them as a suppliment to fishing pressure.
    Flatties are great pond managers if you select the right size to stock for your ponds condition... they will pick a size slot limit and leave the big breeders alone.
    Stock either all males or all females flatties so there is no chance of reproduction- (like what happened in my pond) then fish them back out when the job is done.

9. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Bo and I have been culling out the small bluegill in the farm pond for bait. There are way too many small ones in there and hardly any big ones at all. Definitely overstocked.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Thin out the herd and the fish will generally get bigger.

11. hawk

hawk Member

State:
    kenton ohio
    If its that bad and the fish have stopped growing I agree you need to pick up the pace on removing fish . It takes time but thin out the blue gills and bass.With in a year or 2 you will see groth in the fish left . If you don't eventualy nature will takes its corse and have a roll over or lack of oxygen and you'll have a big die off. The wife's grand father has a 10 acre pond and the rule is your not aloud to remove any fish . Well 2 years ago he lost 1200 fish out of his pond. Lots of nice cats along with the bass crappy bluegills and perch.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Doesn't always work. I raise channel cats (unentionally).
    Some years back I put 3 catfish over 20 pounds in a 1/2 acre pond.
    I also had a few hand selected hybrid bream in the pond.

Those flatheads weren't eating what you thought they would be.
    MANY times you would see food swimming right alongside them.

As far as crappie, they'll ruin a pond. Never stock crappie in a pond.
    If I have an overstocked problem I'm going to drain it.

Talk with your extension office or local Moo U. That is agricultural university for you city folks.
    Between the two you'll find out how much of what you need to stock and when to stock for the size pond you have.

If you go by the seat of the pants, you'll find yourself in the same boat real fast.

13. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How do crappie ruin a pond worse than bluegill? Some of the best pond's I fish have a good population of big crappie. I have always thought bluegill and sunfish were the fish that would ruin a pond.

14. OneBigArsMistakeA

OneBigArsMistakeA New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Going by what someone said earlier in the thread, they reproduce too quickly and eat to damn much. :>

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    exactly... bass and gill fry don't stand a chance. Years ago I put about a dozen crappie in my pond... two or three years later my son and I counted 150 hand size crappie we caught in about an hour jigging dandelion stems. Using them for bait and the flatties are controlling them. I do have monster crappie in there now though.

Here's about the average size of flatties- crappie, and bass in my pond which is about 3 acres.... I also have smallies, walleye, and sauger that do real well in it... it's 23' at the dam.

Attached Files:

16. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    That's some nice fish, can't beat just goin out to the pond and catching them. Congrats on the catchin and the pond.

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Have a fishing day for the kids. Maybe some Boy Scout troop would like to camp and fish it. Even a church youth group. Fish fry afterwards.
    When I was a boy scout Master many years ago. Someone asked if we could bring the kids to help thin out a pond. Our troop went camping for 3 days by the pond, so did others off an on. . Everything we caught, we ate. Last day of camping and fishing. The boys clean up the whole area .

I would love to have a pond. I would stock it with channels and and a few bream.

Bream, not just for bait. They fun to catch and good eating too.

18. keller54

keller54 New Member

State:
    IL
    wow thanks guys this rele helps and we went out there a few days ago and we saw all kinds of fry by the dock. i dont know what kind they were but there were a lot of them. and the blue gill havent been hitting like usual, prob from the heat but the bass we caught were still small nothing over 3lbs so im hoping that gets better. but thanks for all the help!

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    you're in IL.... the fry were probably bass.

20. CRAWFISH1996

CRAWFISH1996 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i would contact your Fish and Wild life and have them shock the pond and take out some fish and relocate them