Over fishing a spot?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Mid TN, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Mid TN

Mid TN New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My nephew, aka "katphish", my son "Shifty" and I have a HOT flathead spot we recently found. We have caught a couple 6's and 7's, a 21, 23, 24 and a 26. The last three big ones were in one evening (10-18-08) in 2 hours. I also had what I felt was a much bigger fish (aren't they all?) on that night, but we didn't see it and it came off.
    My question is and I have told the boys, I think we should back off that spot for a little while, let it rest some? What do ya'll think, wise or stupid?
    There are many other spots that are similar to this one that I think could be just as good, that we have not even tried yet.

2. Mid TN

Mid TN New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The boys just txt me, "Shifty" landed a 22.5 lb flathead from the same spot! That is all we catch there, seems strange, but I'm not complaining!
    How can you stop a good thing?

3. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I would get while the gettin is good, but I know the feeling of wondering if something bigger might be lurking in a that sweet spot you have been eying. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.:big_smile:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Are you practicing catch/release?? If so, then I would not worry about over pressuring the hole too much! However you might want to start looking over your shoulder for my boat. I may start tracking you down:wink:

5. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    if it aint broke ,dont fix it!! haha! if you dont keep em (release them ) i wouldnt worry to much.:smile2:

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just release them they will be there to catch agin

7. Mid TN

Mid TN New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Brother Hilljack,

Your boat is always welcome, it's the least we could do for our military!
    Any time ya'll want to head south, were tearing them up right now!

Actually we are bank fishing at a fairly well fished area. People must not be catfishing or they would live there too! I have never seen any night fishin going on there.

There are some other spots that I think should be as good. I'll keep the boys fishing there and my wife and I will hit the new spots. That way we can compare them. I do hate to miss them boys catching a big fish though. It really tears them up, as bad or worse than seeing a big buck!
    Nothin like a teenage boy with his knees knocking and shaking all over!

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I believe if you CPR them they will still be there I think once they find a hole with food and cover they pretty much stay around it if it was a blue I believe there a stroller and they would move on

9. Mid TN

Mid TN New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hit the flatties again Sunday night 10/26/08. My wife hauled in a 27 pounder and "Catphish", my nephew, pull in a 17 pounder. Guess I answered my own question now, keep fishing it till you can't catch no more!