Over Easy

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Katmandeux, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Had a guy tell me one time he'd been slayin' blues on crappie roe below Ft. Gibson dam. The way he described it sounded like more trouble than I wanted to go to, but I haven't forgotten, either.

How 'bout it...any of y'all ever try fish roe for cats?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Never tried it. How would you keep it on a hook? Interesting.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'd rather eat the crappie eggs myself. I'd blend them up and mix them w/flour for a dough bait if I was experimentin........

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    The guts work but I've never heard of any body using eggs.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    He said he used the rubber string from a golf ball to wrap the roe to the hook.

I really couldn't picture it...sounded too much like pushing a log chain.

The trout and steelhead guys use roe somehow, someway. I was hoping someone here might have some experience with that.

I may have to try another board, where the guys wear lace skivvies.:smile2:

I'll report back, if I learn anything.

6. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    When I was young, and we had community fish cleaning tables at the lakes I fished, it was common to see people keeping their roe for bait. The roe from any kind of fish will work for catfish, just as the the rest of the internal organs will. I personally do not like eating fish roe, but I've used it for bait many times. We used to tie a piece of kite string around the unpunctured sacks and slip the hook through letting the string hold it in place. I'm sure small rubber bands would work fine. Of course, if one were to break the sacks all the roe would run out. Stocker rainbow trout also love them.