Over Chumming

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by topjimmy, Jun 27, 2008.

1. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    We always chum, sometimes I worry we chum too much. The fish's stomachs have to get full at some point.

Do you think you can ruin your fishing by giving out too many freebies?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a possiblity, I guess. the chum is mostly used to attract baitfish which in turn attracts catfish.

3. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I am thinking more fish will come from the smell in the water. But that is just my opinion!!!!

4. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The last time i chummed it was alcohol,beans and hotdogs. I gotta quit drinking so much. :roll_eyes: I think my chum scared off the fish.

5. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The idea is to disperse the smell in the water, not feed the fish youre targeting. In my mind this can be accomplished by either making the chum large enough that they cant eat it, like putting it in a sackcloth bag for example or making it so small that it takes them a lot of rooting around to find it all and in the process they find your bait. I catch small baitfish with a castnet at a local golf pond then grind them up and freeze it.
    I inadvertently was chumming a little while back at bartlett. I had a stringer with some bass in the water and when the sun went down I heard a violent thrashing and when I shined a flashlight on my stringer there was a huge flathead trying to eat the bass in about 2 ft of water.:smile2:

6. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I had this same thing happen to me in san carlos with a crappie on a metal stringer. The flathead ripped the thing from my boat.:crazy: It scared the crap out of me:smile2: