Over chummin'?

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by BasalCell, Dec 19, 2007.

1. BasalCell

BasalCell New Member

State:
    Florida
    Is it possible to over chum an area?

I've heard that we can chum an area for 3 or 4 days a week to get fish in the area, but can we over-chum? Would chummin' everyday be a good or bad idea?

2. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    You can chum everyday but be cautious of how much you chum. If all the chum you put out is not eaten by bait fish or game fish it can cause pollution in the water over a period of time and have the opposite affect and run the fish away from an area. You do want to chum everyday until you see that the chum is drawing the fish you are looking for but you do not have to use a lot of chum to accomplish this task. Use in moderation but do chum daily til you see results. Be patient this may take more than a few days to see results but the fish will come to it. Let me know how it turns out for you.

3. BasalCell

BasalCell New Member

State:
    Florida
    Been chummin' this one area everyday for just over a week and gettin' alot of big mouthed wanky lookin' fish (two, I can't identify) but no cats just yet. I don't expect the cats to be very big in this pond, being it's a SE everglades pond. But I hear there's some cats in there, and I caught a small one in there.

I've been throwin' in 4 frozen dough balls a little bigger than golf balls made of flour, cornmeal, veggy oil, parmesean, and cayenne everyday for about a week.

I had no idea it could pollute the water or chase off the fish, I really want to thank you for that info. I don't wanna do no harm.

I think I'll just start a two or three day a week regemine... Again, Thanks for the info.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've been throwin' in 4 frozen dough balls a little bigger than golf balls made of flour, cornmeal, veggy oil, parmesean, and cayenne everyday for about a week.
    You are not going to over chum with four frozen dough balls. Chumming might be measured in one half to five gallons of chumed used at a time. In one general area. I hope this helps.

5. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Yeah I think you are on the right path. You don't seem to be over chummin' and it appears that your chum is working bringing in the bait fish. Just stick with it and try a variety of size hooks and baits. If you think the cats may not be really big start small and work up til you have an idea of how big they might be in there. I am sure that you will come across a big that no one knew was hanging in there. It really doesn't take alot of water for them to get pretty big. I have an uncle that has a very small pond and we catch channel cats out of that run in the 12-15 lb range. Keep me posted on your progress.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    When I used to fish the impoundments alot , I chummed on a regular basis.
    Usually with soured corn or wheat.
    I'd sling two or 3 good scoops out across the area I was baiting and move to the next area.
    I could chum 3-5 holes out of a 5 gallon bucket.
    You can over chum to the point that the fish are no longer searching for food because they are full.
    We'd go back and mop up on the channels. Everyone of them would be full of corn.

Its about training. Catfish are easily trainable. You can put a feeder on a pond or hand feed at the same time daily in the same place over a couple of weeks and catfish will be waiting on you.
    You can train them to the point they'll follow you as you walk around a pond.
    The chum is a training tool. It doesnt take much. Use something that you broadcast like you would putting out grass seed in the yard. That way alot of fish can benefit instead of the one or two that get there first and gulp it down.
    Most nights I never made it off my second chummed hole and alot of times never left the first hole.
    My biggest take on a single chummed catfish hole on an impoundment was 52 pounds of channel cat filets in a night.

7. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Go to a feed store or Ace hardware and get a bag of SINKING fish food. I throw 3 or 4 big handfulls out every day or two. When I wanna fish the area I throw 1 handful out and the fish are there. Make sure you get the sinking type.

8. BasalCell

BasalCell New Member

State:
    Florida
    I reckon over chummin' isn't my worry. If anything I'm under chummin'.

Ok, now that I've been educated... I owe y'all a big thanks.

Thanks.