Over 250 miles of river shut down!

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by katcatchingfool, Jun 11, 2008.

1. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    A friend of mine just called me with some bad news. From Clarksville up, they are talking over 250 miles of river shut down. Sounds like a lot of trouble heading our way.:cry: They are going to start evacuating Grafton. They said barge traffic will be shut down and they don't want any boaters on the river.:angry: Alton down, boat pleasure traffic will be at a minimum

I don't know about anybody getting off the skunk board for a while.
    Justin i think you have some decision to make.

2. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    I believe it was posted in the Alton Telegraph. Can someone get there hands on one?

3. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
  4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I heard the same thing from our Safety director here at work. I dunno where he got the news though. :roll_eyes:

5. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    Oh man that's not good at all.:crazy:
    Thanks JRicker for the link!
    I guess i will be spending some time on the Kaskaskia. Any body what to try there luck at chasing some Mr. Uglies? I have been wanting to go chase some flatheads for sometime now and now i have an excuse!:roll_eyes:

6. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    No problem glad i could help

7. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    Gary I think you are OK, all of us that's not on the skunk board can sit back and relax. I can see OLD HARALD, SWEATING NUTS!!!

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Yup, Ol Mother Nature is wreaking havoc on Gateways Catfish plans for sure.

The Army Corp of Engineers has opened there EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTER. A couple more big fronts, and its hello 1993. Easy to get kind of bummed out about it, but keep in mind the flood of 1993 led to some phenomenal Catfishing in the years that followed. One can hope that it will happen again.

Heres a link to the Corps Press Releases and Ops Center Stuff.

http://www.mvs.usace.army.mil/

9. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    I hope your right Cuz, the days of catching hogs all night were getting slim pickin's.:sad2:

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    yeah, i've noticed a decrease in the numbers of real large fish caught these past two years as well. We should get a nice push of fish from down south with the high water anyhow. Keep in mind, from Alton to the Gulf Of Mexico there isnt anymore dams. Those fish have an open run all the way. Well see some more big fish out of this. I'm "fairly" confident of it. :roll_eyes: I have fingers, and toes crossed anyhow. :smile2:

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    The news of the shutdown was on tv the other night. This high water during the spawn will definately help the fry survival rate cause they are able to hide in the brush. The longer the river stays up the better for this years hatchlings. Not so good for us fishermen cause it spreads adult fish out so that they are hard to find.

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Fellas I have our paper here and they are expecting 22.7 ft monday here in Keokuk .flood stage is 16 ft here so it sure aint looking good fer the home team.-july 93 it was 27.58 ft -73 flood was 23.50 ft-there gettin ready to block the bridge into mo. here and lock down the river front the way it looks.
    hannibal is expected to be 9ft above flood....It is biting bad and I am feeling you alls pain I want to fish-the spawn is on too.

13. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    noaa is showing the Missouri within a quarter of a foot of cresting at Hermann. But there is rain in the forecast. dont know what will happen. But it is 4 foot above flood stage there now.

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Oh it isn't any better over here J, The big Shovel headed ugly brown and yella fishes are not cooperating either, save your gas money, and clean up the boat :roll_eyes:

15. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    I cant win for lose. Maybe i will start fishing for bluegill!

16. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I think we should load up three to a boat, Split the gas, and visit our western brothers. Heck our rivers are all JACKED UP!! at this present time

17. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    All the ramps on the Missouri out here are closed. We feel your pain!

18. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Jason if the water does not receed by the next tournament to a safe level i will not cancel the tournament but i will change the venue. There will be other options I've already been thinking about and Carlyle lake tops the list.

19. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Justin, what if the river is high, but the amount of debris is minimal? It seems to me that the amount of debris raises the risk factor way up! JMHO

20. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Pack ya onion sack Willy and come on over. I got enuff deer meat to feed us for a while and the gardens growing good. Also, my boat actually runs:smile2: Jus kiddin dude, i know ya had a rough start this year.