Over 150 skipjack in under an hour

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Michael, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    Holy Mary of skipjack they are so thick at cheatham dam you can catch them by hand. went up to the dam this evening at 5pm by boat pulled up-to the wall next to the generator and tied of to a bolt on the wall .
    and the skipjack are so thick we was literally hitting them with the boat when we got up in the turbine water. I was using 2 white curly grubs catching the 2 at a time you don't even have to cast out your rod .
    I was just letting about 3 ft of line out and hitting the right next to the boat. i vacuum sealed 45 of them to put back for the summer and i got all those in under 15 or 20 Min's i was even getting picky and throwing the sized ones back that i didn't want. :tounge_out: i bet we boated well well over 200 skips this evening. all you KY and tn cat fisherman better get to cheatham dam while the getting is good and stock up ! you don't have to be in a boat you can go by road to the Dickson side and catch them from the bank too. heres a "pic" of a few that i vacuumed up.
    OH yeah i was at the steamplant hitting stripper this morning and the water is generating again good current in there but there was no skipjack running in there this morning or hardly any shad.

2. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    i forgot the pic here ya go

Attached Files:

3. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    Cheatham dam? That's in Ashland City Right?
    I may go over tomorrow, stopping by C-City on the way. No sense in driving that far if I can catch em half way.

Not having bait sucks. Esspecially since I'm fishing a tournament in 3 weeks.

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Michael: Nice job.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for letting us know.

6. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the heads up Michael!
    were you along bank fishing wall side?

7. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    Scott i wasn't fishing from the bank i was in a boat. but you can fish from the bank on the rock side.

Steve you say your in a tournament in three weeks? it wouldn't happen to be bass pro shops / ken Freedman's would it?
    i got one in three weeks as well in Paris ,tn then tunacia ,miss.
    will be my next stop

8. smells like old liver!

smells like old liver! New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hello, my TN Boc brothers I'm in need of some skip jack! If any of you happen to get some extras or have some thats freshly vacuum packed/frozen. I would be interested in takeing them off of your hand$ With my work I dont have alot of extra time to get bait. So if you are planning a trip to get some skips keep me in mind..send me a PM and well hook up!
    thanks.....

9. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Michael did you tie up to the wall on the side that the bank fisherman fish from, or the lock side?

10. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    scott i think there are 3 or 4 big gates that stay closed all the time.
    the far gate on the right if you facing the dam in the boat. is where the bolt in the wall is. if you go up there youll see the bolt with a small rope tied to it. its the only bolt anywhere on the wall right beside the gate.

Randy if you get any time with in the next few weeks i can meet you here in clarksville and take you upto the dam to get some. as thick as they are right now you can get more than you need in about 30 mins.
    i'm off all differnt days all the time just send me a pm sometime and we can run up there.

The offer stands for anyone that wants to go up there . just send me a p.m. and i'll let you what days im off work and we can go get some skips

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    tn is a little far for some of us but its good to see the skips are on the move be glad when they hit the ohio river dams aswell , all iv had all winter is shad , shad , and more shad tired of shad infact if i never see another shad id be happy long as i get skip in their place

whered you get your vacume sealer ? and whats the best way to keep them after sealing them ? freezer ?

12. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    i just got the cheap 39 dollar vacuum sealer from walmart. and i use the cheap super saver bags from walmart. and yes the best way to store them is in the freezer. they'll keep forever that way.

I'm surprised that none has noticed that the skip jack in the pic i posted. that they have no tails

13. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    guess its time to get off my big lazy and go get me some bait :big_smile:

preciate the 411

14. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    There was an article in catfish insider that said Moyer(I think this is who said it) ,a guide in TN, like to leave them in the fridge if he is going to use them in the next few days, but antything over that they go to the freezer. Say the fish seem to like them better out of the fridge than fresh even.

Might have to try it someday.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Michael, what brand is the sealer you bought at Wal Mart? Does it seem to work well? I've been reading up, and some of the cheap brands have about a 50% dissatisfaction rate. Problems ranging from poor seals causing bags to leak, burning the bag in two instead of sealing it, physically harder to work than other brands, poor quality, and lack of response by the company to complaints.

Anybody ever try using plastic bags other than those specifically made to use with a food sealer? :0a36:

16. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Jerry, we got one of the "Foodsaver" Brand vacuum sealers from one of our BOC members, his screen name is Foodsaver as matter a fact. We are tickled with it and have had no trouble out of it at all. We buy the bags on a roll from Wal-Mart and they have given us no problems. I did try to use a regular baggie with the foodsaver and it didn't work, it wouldn't pull a vaccum. The baggies are smooth while the foodsaver bags are embossed.

We were worried that some of the juice would be sucked back into the machine but we have even vaccum sealed soup and no juice got back into the machine or leaked out of the bag.

17. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info on the gates Michael, I was wondering how you were tyeing off in front of the open gates on the right side of the dam, plus without getting bonked on the head by the bank fisherman:lol:

18. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I have had some not so great luck with the Foodsaver. Mine likes to suck some liquids into the pump. I cured this by putting anything with liquid on a cookie sheet and freezing for about an hour and then vacuum sealing. It works good. My machine would never do soup. I guess there are some differences in the models.

Cheez

19. roofer1

roofer1 New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    thanks for the info. good bait could mean good catfish hookup soon!

20. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    the trick to not getting the nasty juices from the skipjack into your foodsaver is to take a old towel and lay them on it and the fold them up in it to pat them dry then seal them. when I'm all done i take the old towel and hang it out side for the rain to wash it till next time i need it :cool2: