Oven-Fried Catfish with Sweet Pepper Relish

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catgirl, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Here's another healthy recipe for you....lower in fat and calories, but full-flavored. Prep time 15 minutes, cook time 20 minutes.

Oven-Fried Catfish with Sweet Pepper Relish (4 servings)

1/3 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons honey
    3/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon allspice
    2 bell peppers, 1 red and 1 green, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch squares
    2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 small onion, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    4 skinless, boneless catfish fillets (5 ounces each)
    1/2 cup flour
    1/4 cup toasted wheat germ

Combine vinegar, honey, mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and allspice in large skillet. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add bell peppers, celery and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 7 minutes. Cool relish to room temperature, then refrigerate until serving time.

Pour buttermilk in shallow bowl. Add catfish and turn to coat. Marinate 30 minutes or up to overnight, turning catfish over midway.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, flour and wheat germ in shallow bowl.

Lift catfish from buttermilk and dredge in flour mixture, patting coating onto fish. Place fish on baking sheet and bake until crisp and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve fish with relish.

2. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    What time is supper? You are going to have sweet iced tea aren't you to wash it down? Sounds yummy!:hungry:

3. scorpio420

scorpio420 New Member

State:
    ny
    that recipe has my mouth watering.mm ty for your intro i am still waiting for my posts to upgrade so i can send messages also.

4. ezclip

ezclip New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Sounds great Tanya. Just copied it and adding it to the recipe book.
    Thanks
    Hal...

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Sounds like a great recipe! I will definitely give it a shot when I catch the most important ingredient....the catfish!