Oven-Fried Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Thighs and more recipes

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by jtrew, Jun 19, 2008.

1. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a recipe we tried and really liked. Just be sure to use regular bacon rather than turkey bacon. You need the juices from the regular bacon, which you don't get from the turkey bacon. While I haven't tried modifying this recipe, I can't help but wonder how it would be if I stuck some ham and swiss cheese inside the thigh before I wrapped it with bacon. Gotta try that someday.

Oven-Fried Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Thighs

Prep: 20 min., Bake: 1 hr. You can buy the thighs already boned at the supermarket. This recipe is adapted from Appalachian Home Cooking: History, Culture, and Recipes by Mark F. Sohn.
    Ingredients

8 bacon slices
    8 skinned and boned chicken thighs
    1 cup cornmeal*
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    Preparation
    Arrange bacon slices on paper towels on a microwave-safe plate in microwave oven. Top with paper towel. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds to 1 minute or just until bacon is limp and heated through. (Do not fully cook bacon.)

Wrap each chicken thigh with a piece of bacon; secure with a wooden pick, if desired.

Combine cornmeal and next 3 ingredients in a bowl. Dredge chicken in cornmeal mixture. Arrange on a wire rack coated with cooking spray in a lightly greased broiler or roasting pan.

Bake at 350º for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until chicken is done.

*Cornmeal mix may be substituted for cornmeal.
    Yield

Makes 8 servings

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, I was going to add this, but I got a phone call, and didn't do the save in time, so I'll have to add it in a separate post.
    Those who know me know I'm too cheap to pay $3.99 a pound for deboned chicken thighs in the store; I simply thawed out a 10# bag of leg & thigh quarters ($5.90 a bag), separated the legs & thighs, and picked out the thighs I wanted to debone. I boiled the rest, picked out the meat, and saved it and the stock for other recipes. Deboning the thighs wasn't too bad, especially after learning how on the first one or two.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Venison Swiss steak

Ingredients

4 8-12 ounce venison steaks
    1/3 cup flour
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    4 tablespoon cooking oil
    1/2 cup minced onion
    6 mushrooms, sliced
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 beef bouillon cube

Coat steaks with mixture of flour, pepper and salt. Heat cooking oil over medium heat in large fry pan and brown steaks. Turn steaks, add onion, mushrooms and brown. Drain excess oil. Add water, bouillon cube, cover and simmer for one hour or until tender. Thicken to desired consistency with remaining flour mixture.

Serves 4

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Whats turkey bacon? :eek:oooh:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Turkey bacon is bacon made from turkey. It's not as greasy as regular pork bacon, and cooks quite a bit faster. If you're making bacon-wrapped stuffed jalapeno peppers, it's easier to use turkey bacon to keep from having to cook the regular bacon halfway before you use it to wrap around the stuffed jalapeno. If you wrap the stuffed jalapeno with regular raw bacon, by the time the bacon is cooked, the stuffedjalapeno will be greatly overcooked, if not burned.