outsourcing medical procedures ??????

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Mar 20, 2008.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    make a call to your tech support from internetservice to power tool mfg.
    and your almost assured to be helped by someone in india or another country . its a common thing nowadays .
    how about your insurance company asking you what country you would
    like to have your next major surgery performed in?
    on paul harvey today they were saying that this migth be the next big thing .
    a huge difference in the price of what a doctor here vs. there charges is might be significant enough to pay your family travel expenses and the surgery for a fraction of what we pay here in the states .
    sounds dicey to me .
    can they actually do this to us?
    thoughts? opinions?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you're dieing of cancer, a trip to Switzerland might not be all that bad.

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    type this in your browser and select from the results to read more about this
    the case of the north carolina paper mill guy is interesting he might get money back plus save the company a pile of $$$$
    type in.......outsourcing medical procedures.........

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    It's done all the time. The big drawback is that if something goes wrong, you have little if any legal recourse.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    F******************K That!!! That's stupid, I have spent alot of the last 3 years at the University of Chicago Hospital and I might have had some foreign doctors. But their 19 operating rooms have all the gizzys.

La Porte Indiana's hospital does not even compare to what Chicago can do. Right here in my home town, they are 9 years behind Chicago in equipment. What do you think those foreign country's will have.

Do you think those foreign operating rooms will have the best stuff to work with. Heck those doctors will be filleting fish and skinning tigers with the same knifes they will be using on you. :angry::angry:

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
  7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Myself, no way I would I trust my life to a foreign hospital.

Back when my Cardiologist said I was going to need heart valve replacement. I asked him if it was him, where would he have it done. He was an Indian doctor from India and he said either the Texas Heart Institute at Houston or the the Cleveland Clinic. I chose Houston for it was only 500 miles. There we saw people that had come from all over the world having different kinds of heart surgery... so why didn't they have surgery in their country. :wink:

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Olefin you are right. The University of Chicago Hospital has people come from all over the world for cancer treatment. They even had a couple sheiks from Saudi Arabia. Them folks over there have tons of money and can go anywhere in the world for treatment, and they flew into Chicago, along with their body guards.

I thank God everyday that I have Blue Cross Insurance, as it allows me to go to a hospital of my choosing. Medicaid folks, HMO folks and a lot of others don't have that option.

I have had some procedures done in La Porte, I forget what but it was 25k. Blue cross said it was worth 16k and thats what they paid. The same procedure was done again in Chicago, cost 25k and Blue Cross paid them 16k. It does not cost more for a better hospital. Now some things La Porte can't even do. Like that bladder replacement surgery. Chicago, Indianapolis and a lot of large city hospitals have been doing that for 8+ years or so. Smaller hospitals just get out the radiation and burn you up. Then if they don't manage to kill you, you end up with bags attached to you the rest of your life. :angry::angry::angry:

Bags are no fun, permanent catheters are no fun either, but thats all the smaller places can do.

Now those doctors, I think are another story. I think Blue Cross bought mine a nice Lexus or two with his charges. lol

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm with you Jim, I like Blue Cross Insurance. When I had valve surgery the cost exceeded my retirement insurance lifetime maximum. After that I couldn't buy insurance at any cost, insurance companies wouldn't touch me. I had no insurance until Medicare and Blue Cross.