Outside of Family and Friends

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by tbischof, Nov 22, 2006.

1. tbischof

tbischof New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Outside of family and friends I think one of the greatest things to be grateful for is our country and what it was founded on giving us our FREEDOM in so many ways -us . One of those greatest freedoms is that of speech and religion. Though at times someones ideas or words may make me want to spb and bg it is still a great country that we have the oppurtunity to be bombarded with differing opinions.
    I recieved an email from a friend that I liked and thought that it said a lot and applied to today's immigration situation. Now I have nothing against someone wanting to come here and be an American with pride. Thus meaning work hard, learn the language and respect others beliefs. My problem comes from those seeking the easy life with no sweat. Refusing to become an American and share thier old and adapt the new.
    Who would have thought that this man's visionary words would reach out and be even more appropriate 100 years later.

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.
    "In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have
    room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That was an Excellent post!!! Thanks for sharing it.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Brother Tim and thanking you for posting such an excellent post.A most terrific way to come on it and get your feet wet.Once again I say welcome!:big_smile:

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Welcome Tim To the B.O.C And Thanks For The Wonderful Post. Some Very Good Info There.