Outside Bend of the River - For flathead catfishing?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Catmaster, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Not too many people dont know of this spot but I think it is the honeyhole on any mid-sized rivers. Bend holes like these is where I pulled in my biggest fish. (46 pounds) I think they are the best to fish in mid-day situations. I think that anyone who has never tried fishing this part of their river should give it a try.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

Fishfeen likes this.
  2. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    i have heard that outside bends with undercut banks and a lot of structure will hold flatheads, but the river i fish the bends are usually shallow and the banks aren't undercut and get this, the structure seems to be on the inside of the bend, lol. just my luck, huh?:sad:

Fishfeen likes this.

3. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    On the river I fish it seems that at night the cats are mostly on the inside of the bend. Locally, the rivers and creeks are more stoney on the bottom and the stones get pushed to the out side leaving the inside bend deeper. Thats where I seem to have better luck around here is the inside of the bend.

Fishfeen likes this.
  4. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    I would think the blues would be in the outside bends more so than flatheads. That's where the deep, fast moving cooler water would be, which blues prefer. I would imagine the flatties would be on the inside of that bend and shallower chasing their prey up on the flats. I've seen on the navigations dams on the Ohio River where the flats would look like a shark finning the water chasing schools of shad up in the shallows at night. Awesome site to see a 30+ lb flathead tearing through a school of bait.

Fishfeen likes this.
  5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree, most of my bigfish come from these areas in the daytime.

Fishfeen likes this.
  6. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I have had great luck fishing outside bends in the river. This has especially been true when fishing the Ohio. I like to try and find a bend where the channel comes fairly close to the bank and there is a big dropoff.

Fishfeen likes this.
  7. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Well, The 52lber from last year came from an outside bend with some kicking water during fall. Those ole yellowcats are lying down behind something protecting them from the current and waiting till nightime to move up shallow, I believe. They also like holes with some kind of structure. But I do catch them from outside bends.

Fishfeen likes this.
  8. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    The biggest flathead that I have ever caught came from an outside bend. He weighed thirty-two and a half pounds. My brother caught his biggest flat out of the same hole and it weighed fourty and a half pounds. Both fish were caught at night in 50 feet of water. Our biggest blues from that area also came from the same hole. My biggest blue at fourty-three pounds also came from an outside bend. I caught it in the day time in a different area that was 30 feet deep. I pretty much fish outside bends exclusively when I am targeting the big boys. Vern

Fishfeen likes this.
  9. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I didnt know that but thanks for the info. going to have to try it:)

Fishfeen likes this.
  10. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If there's a snag, big rock, or other structure in said outside bend, then that's where I'd fish. The structure is by far the more important element involved. These bends in my country are usually carved into clay banks or limestone bluffs. These features hold fish no matter where we find them, inside or outside. Also, it seems like this is where the shad constantly swim upstream, and that makes them prime areas.

primitivefrn and Fishfeen like this.
  11. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    in my experience outside bends are usually some of the deeper spots on a river especially in the summer when there hasnt been much rain. add some fallen trees and a little shade and you have a top stop for daytime flatheads. my girfriend lost a monster of a fish on a bend. just flatout broke the line

Fishfeen likes this.
  12. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois

On the river I fish, there is a bend just after a breakoff to a tributary pond. I used to be able to fish at the edge of the tributary, and would throw my bait just past the entry to the tributary. I'd catch cats literally on all three rods at the same time. Unfortunately, someone bought the land a few years ago, and the new owners don't allow anyone to fish there anymore. The sad thing is, the owners aren't using it for anything. There's no house...nothing on the land. The guy that owned it before used to let people fish all day and night for a dollar. Man, I wish the new owners would let us back in there. Alot of people won't even fish on the public part anymore.

Fishfeen likes this.
  13. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    The monster flatties I have saw caught have all come from deep holes near bends in the river. They are great spots, and usually where you will find me.:)

Fishfeen likes this.
  14. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    On an outside bend its gonna be a little deeper. And cover is gonna naturally build up. Undercuts usually form where you cant see them.

Fishfeen likes this.
  15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Thanks For All The Info. I Haven't Tried The Outside Bends Before But I Will This Year.

Fishfeen likes this.
  16. cottonwoodsforever

cottonwoodsforever New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The outside bends are definitely a good place to fish, but it seems to me that cover is the most important thing for flatheads. If the outside bend has a good snag in it it'd be dang near perfect!

Fishfeen likes this.
  17. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    The outside bends are usually carved out pretty deep. If you have some fallen trees you are golden. Fish as close as you can to those trees during the daytime. But right around sunset, hit the opposite bank, usually that will be a shallow area where the baitfish will congregate to keep safe. That flatheads will be soon to follow if they are on the hunt.

Fishfeen likes this.
  18. halll

halll Active Member

State:
    iowa
    Really old thread but good read especially with fall coming. I know some bends that are 15-20 ft deep in a typical 2-3 ft river. But several of the bends have no cover whatsoever. Have you guys had success even in absence of cover?

Fishfeen likes this.
  19. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    If it drops down like that even though there is no traditional cover like trees the dropdown probably holds fish, fish the ledge

Fishfeen and halll like this.
  20. Chop1

Chop1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Chad
    The bends in the local river here have so much wood in them that you have to actually search for a spot you can get a hook down without hanging up. Even then, you are still gonna loose a pile of gear.
    I have always heard that flats go shallow at night, but I have never had any luck catching them in shallow water. All of mine come from outside bends or near dropoffs.

Fishfeen and halll like this.